This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

CS2 Causes Bad Lagging and processor heatup With New Core2Quad

edited October 2009 in General Discussion
I have been using CS2, later CS2,5, to record my Powerpoint lectures full-screen in real-time, including my Smartboard notations and audio from a wireless mic. All worked pretty find on my old Pent4 2.8 machine with 1GB RAM. When I added a camera for a 'talking head' effect, the timing got all messed up and my audio track sounded like mickey mouse on playback, so I forgot the camera for the time being.

Now I have a new 2.66 Core 2 Quad setup w/4GB RAM running XP32. On the initial tryout today I ran my powerpoint presentation, all went very well. However, when I tried to record it fullscreen with CS2.0, it made my PPT presentation really lag and I was unable to make notations on the touch board. I checked the temp of my C2Q and it had risen from the normal 37 deg C to a frightening high 50's. I killed the CS2.0 and everything settled back down. Then I tried CS2.5 and got the same results. And I haven't even tried adding my video capture card yet.

I suspect I am perhaps not sampling at a correct rate or am using the wrong codec or something with the CS, causing the processor to peg out at 100% and lag and heat up. I really would like to get this working, I invested some $$ on the new sys and it should perform way better than it is.

Any suggestions out there would be appreciated. alan.snider@gmail.com if you wish to email directly. HELP!!!! Thanks

Comments

• Well, I think I have it working good now, see my new post entitled WOW...
  • Joining the forum late after getting 2.6 built on Win7, I see you solved your problem but I just wanted to comment on your CPU temp concerns.

50C is nowhere near a problem temp for modern Intel CPU's, particularly Core 2 Quads, so there was really nothing to be concerned about there. In fact with stock cooling most 2.6Ghz and higher quads will hit 50-60C under fairly routine loads, and will hit 70-80C with all 4 cores maxed out. Thermal threshold rating for these CPU's is around 95C, meaning they're certified to run stable up to that temp (although I wouldn't want too for very long). With Prime95 running 8 threads (quad core + HT on each core) at 100% CPU utilization on stock cooling, my i7 860 hit 92C on a couple of cores for a bit but never became unstable. I've since upgraded the heatsink/fan and now barely crack 60C with the same test.

Anyway, apologies for the off-topic but just wanted to allay any concerns you might have should CamStudio or any other process push your CPU temps to the 50-60C range. Rest assured this is well within operating specs for your CPU, even for prolonged periods.