Due to continual spamming, forum registrations are now by Invitation Only. Hopefully this will be only a temporary measure to combat spammers.

If you want an invitation contact forumapplication @ camstudio . org

Sorry for the inconvenience.

CamStudio for macs

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me, I am looking to install camstudio, but the download won't work on my mac.. does anyone know of a link which is compatible?

Thanks, Kyle

• At this time CamStudio does not run on Mac (and probably won't anytime soon). I don't know of any free desktop recorder specifically for Mac,. There are plenty of screen recorders if you are willing to pay. The only one I've used is http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/. I only used it a little bit, but it seemed to work well enough. Let us know if you find a good mac alternative.
  • @Kyle Morris

Currently, as stated, it won't run on any Mac right now. When you downloaded the file, it was saved as an "EXE", a proprietary Windows installation file. To run on a Mac, it must be a Mac OS X proprietary executable, a ".APP". Until an "Application" version of CamStudio is released, it'll only be a Windows Executable.

Sadly, any of the freeware screen capture applications don't work at all. Assuming you're running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, I can only recommend QuickTime X, the built in media player. Go to File > New Screen Recording, or press "Control+Command+N". Best luck - I can't wait for the Mac release of CamStudio either.
  • edited January 2010
    There's several alternatives for the Mac, though I haven't yet seen any free ones that match CamStudio's combined abilities and ease-of-use.

There's the "web-based" screen recorders like:

There's also Jing:

And you can even use the open-source VLC (VideoLan) of all things to record screen casts as well, see:

I don't believe VLC can record audio, though.
  • As Camstudio is using MicroSoft libraries and classes I do not expect that one will be able to build a Mac binary soon.
    Maybe one can use a Windows emulator. (Such as Wine on Linux, although I do not know if this will work)

Camstudio is Windows 32 bit only and upgrade to other OS's or Win 64 Bits is not expected soon

Comment Closed
This discussion has been closed.