This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

vid not going to user directory, also skewed vid sometimes

OK this is really 2 problems but by necessity they are combined:
I tried to specify the directory to save the vid to [ ...\documents\camstudio recordings] but all that gets placed there is " ~temp...avi" files whereas the avi file gets stuck into the .../programs/camstudio 2.6 folder. So I made a vid showing that and for some reason the avi is all skewed! Arrgghhh.
I used the camstudio 1.5 codec at 90% running windows xp pro. Note the skewing of the avi seems to happen at random intervals, sigh. When this was recorded I had no other programs running. It also wouldn't play using the camstudio player 2.0
vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGBQplDTo8Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGo0rcoNvEE&feature=channel

=================================================================================
Comment added by JanHgm

" ~temp...avi" This is for me an indication that this is not Camstudio v2.6b.
Camstudio v2.6b use a date+time indication for temporarily avi files. This way you can continue using Camstudio for a new recording even if the previously avi file is still locked (for conversion to flash for instance).
=================================================================================

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Walshlg,

As to the folder, in Options/Program Options change "Name of AVI File" to "Ask for File Name" and you will be able to select the saving location.

I've gotten that skewed result at YouTube from recording using the "Window" setting where the window being selected had an odd-numbered pixel dimension (like 639 or 641), which the codec at YouTube seems to try to force into 640 or some other nearest-even number dimension.

Try using "Sizer" to pre-set the window size to an exact amount. It also shows the size of the window as you drag the corners to resize it.
    http://www.brianapps.net/sizer/

I truly love this app!

At the moment with the 2.6 beta, during recording the information window will report the wrong information about the video size (it adds a pixel to the read-out dimensions, but the actual recording is the same as the size set by Sizer - this issue is a hangover, I suppose, of the old "missing pixel" bug that existed in the older 2.5 beta's Window recording mode).

Terry
  • Thanks for your quick help!

ok let me see if I've got this straight, if I set window size to 960x720 I'm actually 961x721? Interesting this must seem to come and go, I wonder what triggers it as some windows seem just fine.

How do you use sizer then, or when do you use it? Do I define the window size in camstudio and then run sizer on it somehow? Sorry I don't see a window per se in camstudio just the corner handles, please explain a bit more.
  • OK more experimentation shows pretty clearly to me that the problem with the skewed vid is indeed related to the window size but that problem is caused by the camstudio codec. Using dvx or ffdshow works properly. Interestingly, when checking the vid properties in windows media player classic under details it says the video is 918x718 but under properties it says its 919x719.

I never did get sizer to resize the recording window, when I was trying to set the window, clicking on sizer closed the flashing corner window and once recording, sizer didn't seem to do anything.
  • edited August 2010
    walshlg,

You must use sizer before recording, with "Region" set to window. Click the correctly sized window to start recording.
    Do not compensate - just input even pixel dimensions. You only needed to compensate in the older 2.5 beta, not in 2.6 beta. It is interesting that the properties dialog is showing the extra pixel just as the recording window read-out is. Must be related to the same "off" subroutine, I'd imagine.

If you want 856X480, enter that size into Sizer's config, then set the window to that size before recording. I've finally determined that to be the best all-around size for YouTube - it is the "480p" dimension there. 1280X720, though do-able, results in too-small text for many people UNLESS they view full-screen, and is only tolerable for broadband users. (720p)

Terry
  • BTW.

" ~temp...avi" This is for me an indication that this is not Camstudio v2.6b.
    Camstudio v2.6b use a date+time indication for temporarily avi files. This way you can continue with using Camstudio for a new recording even if the previously avi file is still locked.

Jan
  • User defined directory issue:
    Once release r294 is out of test and released on Camstudio website we can drop the directory issue.