This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed

Comments

• Terry,

yes when I don't see video I can hear sound ;)
    thanks for your help but where can I find this Camstudio lossless codec for video and check "Use MCI for Recording" in the audio settings. PCM compression, 44,100 K 16-bit stereo??

thank you
  • edited July 2010
    CamStudio Lossless Codec 1.4 is here: http://camstudio.org/CamStudioCodec14.exe

A video describing where that setting is can be found at YouTube here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhowEhUPClc
    (ignore the part about using the MS Video 1 codec (a "lossy" codec) - though you might use that one for testing purposes as it is compatible for playback with all windows machines. The Camstudio Lossless Codec, because it IS a lossless compressor (compressor = file size reducer) will give the best results for your masters, though.)

Let me know if that helps.

Terry
  • 2PAC-M4K4V3L1

Make sure you're running CamStudio in XP Compatibility Mode

Right click Recorder.exe > Properties > Compatibility tab

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • Hey,

Terry I downloaded the lossless codec and saw the video and put the same settings but still I can't have video and audio together, or I have sound and my video is black, or I have video and no sound...
    NIck when I click compatibility tab there is no Camstudio in XP, only 95,98,2000 and NT ... but I use XP
  • 2PAC-M4K4V3L1,

How about if you set your "Troubleshooting" hardware acceleration slider all the way back up again?

And have you tried recording in 32-bit color as opposed to 16-bit color?

This is curious, especially as you are still using good-old Windows XP! You shouldn't have any problems!

What exactly are you trying to record, content-wise?

Terry
  • Yes Terry,

I red that once about Hardware acceleration and it didn't work either :s
    Tried again now and still it isn't helping lol
    I'm just trying to record anything to test video and audio together... so a clip from youtube, or a song + my wallpaper but I hear sound and everything I record is black. If I put it on facebook/youtube than I can see it. But everything was working fine before I had audio+video. Now only one of it...
  • ... Yet it works in YouTube or Facebook with video and audio??? That's just too crazy!!! Has to be your media player or the codecs installed.

Tried VLC player?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Or Windows Media Classic?

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/media_player_classic.htm

This sounds like a media player glitch 100%, especially since the videos you create upload and play complete in both Facebook and YouTube!

Terry
  • Terry !
    Thanks for trying to help so long :P,

I first tried Media Player Classic because I don't like VLC Player, I had a window that opened when I wanted to read my file with 4 options, Don't use ffdshow(just once or always), Use ffdshow (just once or always)
    I tried both and it didn't work...
    Than I installed VLC it's working I can see my video but in poor quality.So thank you!
    but it's weird I could read my videos with audio before without problems... in Windows Media Player or GOM Player.
    is it possible it isn't working since I installed codecs to read .mkv files?
    thanks again !
  • I need help cuz i get the same wavegetselectcontrol() failed thing, but when i record it records my audio from speakers and mic, i made my own discussion for this, so if anyone can help me, plzzzzzzz, help!
  • I'm having the same problems. I've tried changing my Sound options in the Control Panel for Vista, but I don't seem to have Stereo Mix or any other speaker sound options available - no matter what I do. I only have Mic and Line-In options - I'm on a Dell PC.

So, my easiest solution was to simply feed my speaker sound into the Mic port of my PC, so my speakers from my PC are directly feeding back into my PC using a Male-Male cable (or whatever you call them!?).

This works great for, excellent sound and video quality!

But, I then get another problem (not created from the cable quick fix, it's a general Mic syncing issue) the Video is recorded at a different rate to the video - so I end up with a shorter audio track compared to my video track.

I've tried changing the options in MCI Recording, but that didn't help the syncing for me. And using the CamStudio syncing option with the delay adjusted is totally useless as the video and audio are different lengths. It would be great if you could alter the audio length in CamStudio directly, to match the Video length - that would be perfect.

Instead, I had to extra the Audio from the file using Any Video Converter, then slow down the track in Audacity to match the Video length. Finally, I glued the new sound file and video back together using Windows Movie Maker - and all was well (all free software).

Very frustrating though, the video lost over 3 seconds on a 160 sec movie! That's quite a lot. I'd love to see better syncing in CamStudio, or with simple manipulation options for stretching the audio out to match the video length.

Keep up the good work!
  • edited August 2010
    NipponMonkey,

Did you see this video and check out the accompanying article here on the best settings for video/audio sync?
    http://screencasttutorial.org/18/best-settings-for-camstudio-to-sync-audio-and-video-28

In a nutshell:

Since CamStudio does not allow for decimal settings in its setting of “Capture Frames Every”, another factor necessary to consider to stay in sync is the relationship of the “Capture Frames Every” setting to that of “Playback Rate” The two, when multiplied, must result in an even number of 1000 (1000 milliseconds, or one second).

This limits the available “Capture Frames Every” (CFE) and “Playback Rate” (PBR) settings to the following:

( * marks those which are perhaps most practical.)
    CFE PBR
    1000 1
    500 2
    250 4
    200 5
    100 10 *
    50 20 *
    40 25 *
    25 40 *
    20 50 *
    10 100
    5 200
    4 250
    2 500
    1 1000

Terry
  • edited August 2010
    Excellent, I thought there must be a better solution!

25 fps works just about right for me, the video is a little jumpy, but the sound syncs and the overall quality is good enough for what I'm doing.

I'm still feeding the sound in from the speakers to the mic by cable - but all is good.

Thanks for the reply.

*EDIT:
    I just tried 40 fps and the jumpiness has almost gone completely and AVI file is pretty much the same size as the 25 fps AVI.
    40 fps is almost perfect screen casting quality - brilliant.

Thanks again.
  • edited August 2010
    NipponMonkey,

Excellent news! :-)

If you are not doing so already, setting your screen display settings to 16-bit color rather than 24-bit or 32-bit will speed things up even more, as well as reduce your file size considerably. You will not record transparency in 16-bits, but that is seldom necessary or desirable anyway.

Terry
  • tbritton,

My screen is set at 32-bit, I changed to 16-bit like you said, and the file sized shrunk by nearly half.

It worked great at 16-bit in general, but the flash file I was recording lost some of its image quality when using transparency inside the actual SWF - not window frames. So for what I'm using it for now, 16-bit isn't great, but I'll remember that tip for other projects.

Cheers
  • edited August 2010
    NipponMonkey,

Did you see my "tome-like" work on color bits here?

http://camstudio.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=457&page=1

or here:

http://screencasttutorial.org/16/best-color-depth-16-bit-color-vs-32-bit-color-explained-135

(also split out the PCM/ADPCM piece to here: http://screencasttutorial.org/54/pcm-or-microsoft-adpcm-which-is-the-best-audio-for-screencasting-139 )

(also added some codec stuff used in reply to walshlg's codecs observations post to this one: http://screencasttutorial.org/02/optimizing-your-pc-for-camstudio-12 )

Terry
  • tbritton, the 16-bit quality lose was down to my PC, not CamStudio. I wanted great visuals, so I kept it at 32-bit and found a better way of shrinking the avi file.

Here's my best solution for great screencasting quality and file size:

Screencast with CamStudio at 40 fps to ensure good quality video and audio is in sync. Now you have a great video, but the file size will be quite large due to the video and audio quality being set high and the file not being optimized yet. My 2 minute video was over 100mb!

I used Any Video Converter (AVC), free video and audio conversion software, to optimize the video and sound. Just add the CamStudio screen cast you made to AVC, change the "Profile" settings to "Custom AVI Movie" in the top right corner. Then, in the output video settings, set the frame rate to whatever you like, I stuck with 40 fps, and the video size, I manually entered my custom sized height and width "700x400". I used the xvid Video Codec that was set by default. I didn't change the AVC audio settings, they were set at MP3, 128 bitrate, 44100 sample rate and 2 audio channels.

Finally, simply click on "encode" and the new optimized video is created.

My 2 minute video was shrunk in seconds from over 100mb to 4.5mb with barely a difference in video and audio quality - excellent!

Note: I think I had to install Lame for mp3 conversions for AVC, but I can't remember for sure as I installed it a while back.

So, for quality optimized screencasting for free, I suggest using CamStudio for the recording and then using Any Video Converter to considerably shrink the avi file size.

Now I have to optimize all of the videos I've already made!
  • @NipponMonkey

Thanks for posting your results ... I have a play (and I bet Terry will too :o) with Any Video Converter.

@tbritton, that "drop your display to 16-bit" tip is a cracker.

I believe Vista/Win7 Premium users can get the same effect automatically by selecting "Disable Desktop Composition" in the Compatibility tab after right-clicking Recorder.exe and selecting Properties.

At least I see the same "The color scheme has been changed to Windows Vista Basic" message.

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • NipponMonkey,

You can achieve similar results from the "local favorite" VirtualDub http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/ (and even batch process, from what I hear!), but it is good to hear another fine review of the Any Video Converter http://www.any-video-converter.com/download-freeware/ .

I'll d/l it and give it a good looking at based upon your suggestion and success!

Terry
  • edited September 2010
    A few questions:

1) Will AVC also make CamStudio files which are over 2 gigs in size, playable, same as Virtualdub? I have some 4 hour sessions I need to record, and was going to run the huge resulting AVI files through Virtualdub to make them playable and editable. Anyone tried this with AVC?

2) Where on a Windows 7 computer do I find the settings to adjust the 16 or 32 bit display output? Can't seem to locate it.

3) Lastly, and I know this is probably asking for too much, is it possible to record BOTH the audio from the computer and the mic at the same time? Seems it's either/or. I moderate online conferences (using Paltalk as the audio platform), and it would be nice if my voice could be recorded as well when I'm moderating.

Thanks for your help.

Baron
  • edited January 2011
    "2) Where on a Windows 7 computer do I find the settings to adjust the 16 or 32 bit display output? Can't seem to locate it."

On my Toshiba Satellite running W7 Pro there are two ways (and there may be more -- am still not totally familiar with W7):

1. Right click on blank space on screen and then select Graphics Properties>>Display Settings>>Color Quality. I'm running with a second monitor, so it's possible this way to set has to do with that. I don't remember, but it works on this machine/monitor combination.

2. Control Panel>>Appearance and Personalization>>Adjust screen resolution.

====================================================================================================
    Moderator add on:
    Credits to Terry..!
    ====================================================================================================

"PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Here's the fix: Right click on the MS speaker icon in the task bar, select recording devices, single left click the Mic Input then select the properties button... go to the listen tab and select listen to this device.

Mic input is now routed into the stereo mixer, and both record in CamStudio.

(Issue closed)
  • I'd found that, but don't see the place to change the number of colors/16 or 32 bit. I see the screen resolution (currently at 1360x768). What am I missing?

Thanks.
  • Do you have "Advanced settings" on the Screen Resolution screen? If so, it's a link that'll take you to another screen with several tabs, one of which is "Monitor." A dropdown menu named "Colors" has choices of "True Color (32 bit)" or "High Color (16 bit)."
  • Thank you, booklover. Got it.

Now, I hope someone addresses the other two questions I asked.
  • About your point regarding audio from both mike and speakers: I remember a discussion about someone whose CamStudio videos contained audio from both his mike (it picked up the tv audio, etc.) and the speakers. He only wanted one or the other. As I recall, it got straightened out so that the audio was from only one source. I didn't mention it before since I didn't bookmark the thread and don't have the time today to look through the threads. Maybe Terry or someone else bookmarked it. Of course what you're after is the reverse of this situation, but it might be worth your reading if we can find it. Sorry.
  • edited September 2010
    baron,

"Lastly, and I know this is probably asking for too much, is it possible to record BOTH the audio from the computer and the mic at the same time? Seems it's either/or. I moderate online conferences (using Paltalk as the audio platform), and it would be nice if my voice could be recorded as well when I'm moderating."

You can use the "Stereo Mix" feature of your audio settings. Here is how it is done in XP, ( http://screencasttutorial.org/15/set-sound-from-stereo-mix-what-u-hear-in-camstudio-2-5-26 )but there is more to it in Win7 -- however, a simple search of YouTube with the keywords "Stereo Mix Windows 7" will bring up several videos.

This one is good: Nice that he shows both Windows 7 and XP in the same video. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZV6yTujhNo )

Just make certain that in your PLAYBACK volume mixer you have the mic un-muted and its volume turned up so it gets included with the other sounds in that "stereo mix". Experiment with your levels, as they can get pretty hot pretty fast!

Terry
  • edited September 2010
    Hello Terry,

Thank you for your help. Sorry for the delay in responding, but I finally got around to reading your post, went to YouTube, and watched about a half dozen videos which all more or less have the same instructions for getting the stereo mixer and the microphone to work at the same time. Unfortunately, after spending about three hours following every possible permutation of the instructions for the settings of the stereo mixer and the microphone as provided in the videos, I still can't get both the sound from the speakers and a microphone to record at the same time. I can get either one of them to record, but not both at the same time. I know I have the stereo mixer setup correctly, and the microphone as well. I have fooled with switching them back and forth in terms of which is the default device and which is the default communications device. Actually that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. I'm just about ready to throw in the towel, but unfortunately I really need to get this working because I have to record a conference in a few weeks where I'm the moderator.

After sitting here and staring at the screen for the past half-hour, watching one of the videos over and over which seemed to be particularly helpful and easy to understand, it suddenly dawned on me that while I was watching the video I noticed that when the person was speaking, the indicated input volume levels of both the stereo mixer and the microphone (in the video) were both the same, as indicated by the green bars. I'm talking about when the sound box is open and we're looking at the recording devices window. The only two things enabled in that window are the microphone and the stereo mixer. Right now, when I speak into the microphone, the green volume bars to the right of the microphone indicate input. The louder I speak the higher the level of the green bars. But when I'm speaking into the microphone, there are no green bars indicating input to the right of the stereo mixer. If I start a video going, but I don't talk into the microphone, I hear sound out of the speakers, and I see green volume bars to the right of the stereo mixer, but none to the right of the microphone.

Now, if I have a video playing on the screen and I'm talking into the microphone at the same time, I'll see the green volume bars to the right of both the microphone and the stereo mixer, but the volumes being indicated to the right of each of them is specific to the input into each one, meaning that the green bars to the right of the microphone are indicating the volume from me speaking into the microphone, and the green bar being simultaneously shown to the right of the stereo mixer are indicating the volume coming from the playing video.

It's occurred to me that I'll know I'll be able to record the input from the microphone along with the input from what's happening on the screen when I can see the volume being indicated in both the microphone and the stereo mixer at the SAME time when I'm only speaking into the microphone, the same as I see in the tutorial videos on YouTube. But I can't for the life of me figure out what settings I need to do, since I've think I've tried all of them to get this to happen, with no success.

I'm perfectly willing to let someone call me and talk me through the process or the variations involved if I can get this to work. If anybody wants me to call them, please just e-mail me your number and a time and I'll gladly do so.

Right now my stereo mix is indicated as the default device, and the microphone says ready. The microphone is not muted, and as I'm dictating this using Dragon Naturally Speaking, I see the green indicator bars to the right of the microphone icon going up and down. But I see nothing to the right of the stereo mix icon.

I hope someone can help me here.

Thanks
  • edited September 2010
    Terry, I thought I'd let you know that I've also thoroughly read your web site, and unfortunately was still not able to figure out how to get the input from the mic to show up in the stereo mixer. The screen shots on your site are fine for XP, but Windows 7 doesn't have those style volume control/mixer windows any longer.
  • PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Here's the fix: Right click on the MS speaker icon in the task bar, select recording devices, single left click the Mic Input then select the properties button... go to the listen tab and select listen to this device.

Mic input is now routed into the stereo mixer, and both record in CamStudio.

There's only one small drawback: Anything input into the mic comes out of the speakers with a slight "reverb" quality. It's not caused by a feedback loop, because the audio from a video playing on the screen doesn't reverb at all. If you play a video and speak while it's playing, only your voice reverbs.

This may be minimized by lowering the input sensitivity for the mic. But it doesn't get rid of it. If anyone does know how to get rid of it completely, please don't keep it a secret.
  • baron,

"Here's the fix: Right click on the MS speaker icon in the task bar, select recording devices, single left click the Mic Input then select the properties button... go to the listen tab and select listen to this device."

That is terrific! Thanks for your diligence, baron. I'll add this information to my website and to other posts here as an addendum as soon as my move is finished (new city move... ugh! Almost finished packing!)

I turn down my speakers all the way when I'm doing this, or use headphones to overcome the feedback issue.

Thanks again and keep me updated with anything new you discover (or with your further success!)

Terry
  • Hello Terry,

"I turn down my speakers all the way when I'm doing this, or use headphones to overcome the feedback issue."

Unfortunately, for reasons I don't understand, turning down the speakers or using a headset doesn't get rid of (or even reduce) the reverb effect. It's not being caused by audio feedback, it's something that's being produced internally when the mic input mixes with the stereo mixer output. I've tried both techniques, with no improvement. It's livable, but if I was going to be doing a lot of talking while moderating these conferences, it would be annoying.

Perhaps someone will stumble across a solution.
This discussion has been closed.