This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Repair camstudio avi files using virtualdub

Hi
I have 2 files ~Temp.avi and temp001.wav in the temp folder of camstudio. These files are not in order to work. Temp.avi is 2.58 GB and Temp001.wav file is about 357 MB. I tried to repair these files in virtual dub to make them in order to work but could not find any option in virtualdub to open together .wav and .avi files together and combine them. Could you please guide me all steps how can i repair these files as these are my lecutre which is very important. I will be grateful. thanks

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Booklover posted some instructions for fixing the AVI portion using VirtualDub in the Sticky section above, in the "Known Bugs and Limitations" thread, but you will have to either convert to MPEG or H264 from AVI in the process, or split your video up into parts, as AVI falls victim to a 2-gigabyte size limit by its own specification, apparently.

Here is that post:

"Yes, VirtualDub has to be downloaded. It's free. Try http://www.virtualdub.org or there are other places to download it. SourceForge has it.

Once VirtualDub is installed, open it and click on the File menu and select "Open video file." Assuming it's a CamStudio AVI file that's bigger than 2GB, go to the CamStudio program folder (I'm assuming you're using the 2.0 version that puts all the captures into the program directory/folder) and select the file you want VirtualDub to "operate" on.

Sometime before you start VirtualDub to work on your file (you might want to make a copy of your file before opening it in VirtualDub just in case something goes wrong) you'll need to make a couple of changes to VirtualDub settings.

In the "Video" dropdown menu select Direct stream copy (the default is Full processing mode). On the Audio menu Direct stream copy should already be selected since it's the default. On the "View" menu I like to check "Input video pane" and "Output video pane," although it's really not necessary. I do it so I can see that it's the file I meant to use. I also check "Show status window" although that too probably isn't necessary.

When everything's set and you're ready, just click on "Save as AVI" or use F7. Before it actually starts to work, VirtualDub will ask you to name the file it will create. Whatever works for you, but being essentially lazy, since the input file's name and location is already there, I generally just put "VirtualDub" or some abbreviation of it as a prefix to the existing file name.

So far the VirtualDub version of every "too big" AVI file that was unreadable with Windows Media Player or VLC or anything else I've tried has been fine -- Windows Media Player plays it perfectly. If there's any degradation of video quality, it's so small as to be virtually unnoticeable. In any case, it beats having a useless file!"

However, Booklover had never attempted to combine the wav file with the video. I would suggest doing this AFTER you have salvaged the video file in VirtualDub. You can then normally edit (in VirtualDub, Windows Movie Maker, or any other editor) the video's audio track and add the wav temp file back in, I would guess.

Also, see this thread: http://camstudio.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=507

Please let me know how you fare!

Terry