This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Rev264 : Always returns to MS Video 1 if you don't check video codec

Was this fixed in a newer revision, because if you don't re-check your codec, by going into its configuration, don't change anything, and just press OK; you will get an odd oblique output after recording, having CamStudio show MS Video 1 when you're actually using ffdshow or any other codec.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    coldReactive,

If you were using the "fixed region" setting in 264, I believe it was, the setting is off by one pixel in both directions - you have to add one to width and height.

Try that and let me know if it fixes the issue. The problem with the later versions is that ffdshow is not showing up for those, for some still undetermined reason.

I've been using r294 with few issues, with Lagarith Lossless codec for high-motion video, and CamStudio Lossless for Powerpoint, browser-shot and program-screen recordings. Note that 854X480 will produce skewed video at YouTube if you use CamStudio Lossless, while 856X480 will upload OK to YouTube.

Watch your times with Lagarith - about 9.5 minutes in 32-bit display color settings (with 16-bit audio) and 11 minutes in 16-bit display color settings (also with 16-bit audio). Set your "Automatically Stop recording at..." setting to avoid going over 2 GB.

Terry
  • Terry, FYI it does the same thing for me sometimes -- reverting to MS codec. I use 16 bits, a fixed region, and the CamStudio lossless codec for my captures. It doesn't do it every time, and so far I haven't been able to discern a pattern. For my purposes it isn't a big thing, but I did want to confirm that it's not just using ffdshow.

Jo
  • edited March 2011
    booklover,

I vaguely remember that this was an issue fixed in r272 or whatever it was. I use r294 and have not had this issue crop back up, but it does happen in r264.

I didn't think it was only ffdshow - I was only referring to the fact that presently we are stuck having to use r264 if we want ffdshow to show up at all in the codecs listing!

Was I wrong in thinking it was r264 that had the one-pixel error in width and height occurring in the fixed region settings?

Terry
  • I'm using v2.6 r294. The reason I mentioned ffdshow was that it was mentioned in this thread and I was reminded that I also experience the reversion to the MS from the CS - sometimes. Since I brought it up, I'll try to pay more attention to try to nail down the circumstances when it does and does not occur.

Re the one-pixel error: I must confess that I've seen those discussions but, since it doesn't affect what I need and use CS for right now, I just sort of scanned the discussions and really don't remember. Sorry.

Jo
  • I use lossy ffdshow / xvid. I really don't like lossless, so the one-pixel thing doesn't apply to me. I was mentioning the MS Video 1 thing only. I don't use 272+ because ffdshow won't appear, it seems?
  • edited March 2011
    coldReactive,

You are correct - neither 272 nor 294 show the latest versions of ffdshow. That is hopefully going to be fixed in the next release, as that is Nick's favorite as well!
    Thanks for your info in another post about the older ffdshow showing up - have to test that yet on my machine.

coldReactive said in this thread: http://camstudio.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=566
    "Using an older revision helps somehow: http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download-1030_0_158_file_ffdshow_rev3572_20100913_clsid.exe.html

Make sure you uninstall your current ffdshow. "

There is a version of XVID that installs with the K-Lite codec full or mega pack, isn't there? That appears across all versions.
    http://screencasttutorial.org/camstudioversions.html

booklover,

The one-pixel error may have been isolated to a codec, true. I'll look into it when I have some time!

Terry
  • This problem used to happen to me too, but then I realized I wasn't recording to AVI, I was recording to SWF. I guess I accidentally switched it to Record to SWF mode without knowing, but switching it back fixed it.
  • edited April 2011
    JoshT,

Ahh... I never would have thought of that, as I have never used the SWF converter in CamStudio (...I would use Any Video Converter, if I had the need). But, of course, it is just TOO EASY to accidentally hit that button that switches to recording in SWF mode, isn't it!?

Terry