This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Encountering problems and discovering solutions

Right now, I'm trying out the r294 build of 2.6.
I encountered a problem that when I tried to record a window (649x529), it would come out as skewed in Windows Media Player :

I then realized that it only becomes skewed when the source video is not an even number. What I did to solve this problem was to crop the video in VirtualDub down to 640x480 (using the null-transform filter to crop then recompressing it in Xvid). This was the result:

This thread also helped a lot:
http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/622/camstudio-lossless-codec-854x480-produces-skewed-video-at-youtube-856x480-works-ok

Now, my other problem is that whenever I try changing the video options of CSLC 1.5 in Camstudio 2.6, it doesn't save or register. It keeps back to Level 6.
Example 1:

Comments

• edited April 2011
    But in comparison to CSLC 1.4 in Camstudio 2.0, it works.
    Example 2:

My question is if this was intentional or if this is some sort of bug. If it is a bug, is there any workarounds to this?
    Also, feel free to post any kind of solutions to any kind of problem. I will also try to help :]
  • edited April 2011
    JoshT,

I'm glad you got that skewed video issue sorted out. Yay! - VirtualDub to the rescue!

I'd say it looks like a bug in CamStudio Lossless 1.5 for it not to retain its settings. I'll notify the programmers via the bug tracker. If it's any consolation, the "6" setting works great anyhow!

(Note - Cave Story, eh? Must try!)

[Edit] - I just tried this on my own version, and can not get it to fail - on an XP laptop here. Are you on Windows 7? I'll try it later on my Windows 7 machine.

Terry

• edited April 2011
    Hi Terry, here are my computer specifications:

GPU:

• JoshT,

On Vista, with its odd security "features", try running the program as an administrator and see if it will hold on to your settings then. I've heard tales of this sort of thing happening before on Vista.

Hopefully, that's what it is.

Terry
  • edited April 2011
    Shame on me for not doing that. It worked. Thank you very much :)
    Also, in case someone stumbles on this thread and encounters the same problem, here are my settings:
    I don't know if the XP compatibility option does anything, but I just keep it on anyways.

• JoshT,

Cool!

Great idea to disable visual themes, etc. for doing recordings, I'd wager!

Terry
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, disabling those 3 helps a lot in gaining more frames per second.
    Running Camstudio in 640x480 and recording in lower resolutions that you typically don't run on can also gives you more frames. Same goes for running in 256 colors, although you'll lose those colours that modern programs rely on. Actually, it can render them rather useless, but if that program can run (or only run) in 256 colors, give it a try.
  • edited April 2011
    Also Terry, what you posted in this thread:
    http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/350/known-bugs-and-limitations-from-wikibooks-article#Item_15

Region > Window
    [This issue no longer applies to the 2.6 Beta version - it applied only to 2.5]

When using the "Region > Window" capture setting, the captured area will have 1 extra pixel added to the right and bottom of the capture area. For example, if the window was 960x720, the captured area would be 961x721. Although these extra lines can easily be cropped off, this may cause problems with certain video compressor codecs. A rough work around for this would be to set the window size to be 1 pixel smaller in width and height then that you desire to capture at (eg, if you wanted 960x720, instead set the window size to 959x719).

I thought the bug was fixed, but apparently it's not.
    1.This image was taken during recording.
    (Camstudio 2.6 Build r294)

2.After checking the file information in VirtualDub.

Also, the GZIP option never seemed to work for me. Both in CSLC 1.4 and 1.5.
  • edited April 2011
    JoshT,

I'm not entirely certain why that GZIP option is in there - it may be useful in VirtualDub for re-compressing a recording, but it never worked during a recording.

Thanks for the valuable detective work - it seems that one-pixel-added problem re-appeared in r294. I'll investigate a little further, and post a bug report.

Terry
  • edited April 2011
    Weird, the 2nd image from the last post I made, it says "CamStudio Lossless Codec v1.4 (CSCD)".
    I recaptured video and took screenshots to fix those images above. And it still says 1.4 instead of 1.5. Also, GZIP never worked in VirtualDub either. It always give me an error.
    I'm using the 1.9.11 version of VirtualDub.