This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

How do you record in lower quality?

Only a few minutes of recording on CamStudio is several hundred Mb, is there a way to record in lower quality. I am looking for 1hr long vids with full screen record, making 100mb max.

I was think of recording in normal and converting to FLV, does anyone know how to get what I want done, maybe with freeware?

The video is an online presentation, so the only movement is the mouse, with lots of slides.

Comments

• HelpfulAgent,

Install the Xvid codec from http://xvid.org at the highest quality setting of 1, perhaps. I get fine 1280X720 recordings from that codec lasting over 2 hours. I have found many codecs flounder on managing odd capture sizes from full-screen recordings, so do try the 1280X720 method first. It is the HD size on YouTube that they prefer as well.

Terry
  • I'm not gonna lie.......I have no clue how to download, apply, use, a codec. Can you help explaining some things?

• HelpfulAgent,

That is a lot of clues you need help with!!!

I have some videos in the series you probably need to watch, then, but the download of Xvid is completely painless - you download the 32-bit installer version and run the installer. Follow the prompts. When you later start CamStudio, you will then find Xvid as one of the available codecs. Use the Xvid 720HD profile and the default settings with a "1" quality setting on the slider. Make a recording. That's it!

Visit my site at http://screencasttutorial.org for links to videos and lots of helpful articles.

Terry
  • I thank you for your help so far tbritton.

I downloaded what I thought was the right download (32-bit binaries (EXE installer). from http://jawormat.republika.pl/xvid.html as reccomended by you. After installation the codec I chose was (Xvid MPEG-4 Codec). But after I started recording the program crashed, it has never crashed before. I run on Windows 7(64 bit), is that why? I though my OS was backwards compatible and 32 bit would be a smaller file size. Should I try the 64 bit?
  • edited June 2011
    HelpfulAgent,

HelpfulAgent,

Odd to see a crash. No, you used the correct version, as CamStudio is a 32-bit program. (You would use the 64-bit version with a 64-bit media player like the 64-bit version of Windows Media Player that came with Win7. The 32-bit version is the most compatible still, however.)
  • edited June 2011
    HelpfulAgent,

Uninstall and re-install Camstudio using the version from THIS Sourceforge source:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/files/stable/

Terry
  • Still crashing. I wonder what it could be.........Could a firewall, or anti virus be stopping it?
  • edited June 2011
    HelpfulAgent,

You re-installed from the file downloaded at the link I gave you, correct? Did you completely uninstall first? (including deleting the folder from the Program Files(x86) folder?) It is important that you remove all vestiges of the original installation, because you may have installed a "rogue" release from a rogue fork at Sourceforge calling itself "camstudios" with an "s" at the end. There have been reports that this version (which was definitely different when I performed a checksum test) may have contained malware (though not an actual virus). We just had that fork shut down entirely.

If you installed a large codec pack, try un-installing that and only install small portions of that codec pack that you actually use.

Terry
  • Still no good. I went into the Program Files(x86) and deleted Xvid file after I uninstalled Camstudio 2.6 beta, and the Xvid. Then I ran CCleaner.

Honestly at this point I think there is something that is being missed, I do not believe I have a faulty program. Let me write out some information that hasn't been said and maybe from there we can determine what is going wrong.

I use windows 7(64bit)
    I have windows firewall, AVG, SpyBot S&D
    When I record, I use full screen, I choose Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
    In Configure I choose Xvid HD 720, Quality 1.00, the is an option under Zones that says "0 W 1.00"

Is there any setup that you are doing? Any special programs or options you are selecting?
  • HelpfulAgent,

The only primary difference is that I always record at 1280X720 fixed-region and not full-screen.

Terry
  • Thanks for your help so far. I finally got it working. I have done several updates and something must of clicked.
  • That is excellent news!

Terry