This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Video looks strange when played on XP

edited July 2011 in Announcements
Hello,

I recently recorded some video on my new laptop using Windows 7 and after recording the video clips look great when played back on my computer. However, when I try to play it in XP or try to post on Vimeo it looks horrible- the video is slanted to the right and the color display is mostly black and white. I recorded clips using Vista on my old laptop and never had this issue, but have now been experiencing it with Windows 7 and the latest version of the program and Codec. (Camstudio v2.6 with Camstudio Lossless Codec v1.5). Has anyone else experienced this before? Any solutions you might suggest?

Thank you,

Joel Miller

Comments

• edited July 2011
    It may be caused by not having the capture area divisible by two or four. Terry, our resident expert, suggests that a fixed area be used rather than the whole screen. Also, Terry currently suggests xvid as the codec to use since he and another member here did a series of experiments that convinced them that a specific version of xvid with particular settings produces the best combination of quality and small file size while keeping under the 2GB AVI file size limit.

Nearer the top of this page is information about Terry's recommendations. Try this thread: http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/658/req-recommended-settings-for-recording-for-90-min.#Item_49

Good luck.

Jo
  • Joel (and thanks, Jo!),

CamStudio Lossless is particular about the sizes, as Jo mentioned. I definitely recommend Xvid. There is a post about it at my site about using Jawor's version, but here is the link to Jawor's download page:
    http://jawormat.republika.pl/xvid.html

Even if you have a 64-bit machine, you'll need the 32-bit binaries for CamStudio. In that case, just install both!

Terry