This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Three issues

edited September 2011 in General Discussion
New user... Win 7 Home ed... Installed (as Administrator) v2.6b r294

1) Lossless codec 1.5 doesn't show up in codec window.

2) When I assign a "Directory for Recording"... CS doesn't remember it after a close. It appears to when I look at the program preferences, but always saves to the CS2.6 folder until I force a save to my desired folder once. Then it's good until I close again. When I reopen, I have to do it again.

3) I do my video editing in Sony Vegas Pro 10. Is there a "best codec" to use for that.

Thx in advance for any assistance and my apologies if these issues have been addressed earlier.

Harold

Comments

• hfritsche,

1) Use Lagarith Lossless or Xvid instead. Also Intel IYUV.

2) Run the program as an administrator so it saves your settings. It won't otherwise.

3) I have heard that Sony Vegas Pro likes raw video - use VirtualDub to save a raw version of your vids for editing. If you discover another codec that works well, please let me know. Lagarith Lossless is based upon Huffyuv, so try both. Intel IYUV is a good codec, and might work with Vegas also.

Terry
  • Terry,
    Thx for your reply. Not much progress to report...

1) I've installed the 32bit Xvid. It appears to install but when I try to record with it, I get a blank Xvid window in upper left of screen and the program freezes. I've installed and run as Admin. No dice.

2) Ditto here. The program ALWAYS appears to save the user directory for recording (run as Admin or nor)... it just doesn't USE what it saves. It always tries to save in the CS folder until I force the save to where I want it. Then, for the remainder of that session, it stays put.

3) I'm not sure what you mean by "raw". I tried to use the IYUV codec but I'm thinking now that the video quality wasn't good (sorry, I've done so many iterations lately, I'm not sure except that I didn't consider it acceptable for some reason). Lagarith is super but omg the file size... if there is a 2G limit, that gives me about 4 min to do what I want... not enough.

Thx in advance for whatever help you can send my way.

Harold
  • I hate to stick my nose in here, but I am running CS on a W7 Pro machine and do not have a problem with the files not going where I designate. Is it possible that when you had chosen your settings that you didn't close the CS and then reopen it before starting to record? I have found that if I do that, the settings will still be there when I use CS again.

The rest of the stuff is far above my pay grade. : )
  • edited September 2011
    hfritsche,

Ah - I think I've spotted the issue - it is a wording issue that leads to misunderstanding often - the words "Directory for Recording"!

That refers to the location where the temporary files will be placed during the recording process. When you press stop, the audio and video portions stored there are combined and saved to the location determined by the "Name of AVI File" setting. Set it to "Ask for Filename" and it will allow you to save it where you want it. Otherwise, the file is saved in the Program Files\Camstudio folder with the time and date as the filename.

Xvid's notorious window can be shut off by clicking the Xvid configure button and clicking the bottom-center button "Other Options" and un-checking the "Display Encoding Status" item.

"Raw" means no compression codec is applied at all, which many editing programs like. Expect large files, though!

Lagarith Lossless should deliver 9.5 minutes of recording time in 32-bit color and 11 minutes of time in 16-bit color, according to my tests. Fiddle with the settings. Xvid allows up to 3 hours of webinar recording time for me with 16-bit 44kHz audio (with "Use MCI for Recording" checked).

Terry
  • edited September 2011
    Terry, I never have the program ask me for the file name as I use the automatic naming capability. However, I do specify the directory/folder (CSdata) where my recordings are to be placed, and that's where they go. That's using CS2.6, not 2.0.
  • Jo,

How do you set that up? Or by "recordings" above, do you mean the temp files?

Terry
  • edited September 2011
    Terry --

No. I set up -- actually l leave it set up -- the directory for recording (CSdata). Since I use autonaming, if I'm not doing something else on my external monitor at the time I often watch that folder as the capture is being done on the internal monitor. I see the temp video and wav files being created and then those disappear as the final file appears (after the recording has been stopped, either manually or by time, of course). If I've designated a directory/folder where I want the file to go, it all happens in the same place.

Of course it may work differently with the Ask For File Name option, which I almost never use.

Jo
  • Jo,

Ahhh - so the auto-naming feature will save in the same folder where the temp files are told to go! I didn't know that! I've never used the auto-naming feature, so that would explain that one... and just when I thought I knew everything!

Terry
  • Hey guys... sorry I've been away from my computer for about a week.

Terry,
    Re: Xvid not working.

You said "Xvid's notorious window can be shut off by clicking the Xvid configure button and clicking the bottom-center button "Other Options" and un-checking the "Display Encoding Status" item."

I did that and it worked. But... now, when I start the record, I get a little window that says "CS could not record the AVI file using the current compresor. Use default compressor?" If I select Yes, that message window won't go away. If I select NO, it goes away but the recording doesn't run.

My Xvid settings are HD720 and Single-Pass. I left everything else alone. I've tried HD1080 without result. Beyond that, I didn't try any of the other settings.

This is surely something simple but darn if I can see what it is.

Harold
  • hritsche,

It is imperative with all MP4 style codecs (x264, Xvid, DivX, etc.) that the dimensions of your video in width and height be multiples of 2. DivX requires one of them to be a multiple of 4, but I forget which. If you are using the "rubber band" region selector, it is easy to get an odd-numbered dimension - just keep trying till you hit it right. Otherwise, use the "Fixed Region" setting instead. That can be used with the "select" button in there to let you do the rubber band thing and see what your dimensions are before pressing the record button.

Once you have the width and height correct, the error window will go away and the recording will start just fine when you press Record.

Terry
  • Terry,
    OK. Progress!
    If I select an area, divisible by two, it works. If I select full screen, it works. If I select a Window... I get the "CS could not record the AVI...." message.

What do you think?

Harold
  • Harold,

Yes - the "window region" has a glitch in that it adds a pixel to the measurement - you have to use Sizer or something and set it to one pixel smaller than the desired measurement - so 1279X719 for a 1280X720 window. This glitch re-appeared when the Fixed Region glitch was repaired (which was broken when the Window glitch had been fixed... etc. etc. - soon both will work properly!!!!)

Terry
  • Terry,
    Thank you so much for your generous help. Perhaps guys like me don't remember to say thank you often enough to guys like you.

Harold
  • Harold,

You're welcome! Much appreciated! :-)

Terry
  • Harold,

Oh, and here is the link to Sizer by BrianApps if you hadn't found that already:

http://www.brianapps.net/sizer/

Terry