This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Recording failed to save at the end

KMMKMM
edited December 2011 in CamStudio 2.6 Beta Support
After recording a training I was taking where someone had access to my computer, CamStudio asked what I wanted to name the file. I gave it a name and it gave me an explaination as to why I couldn't name it that, but then it didn't give me another chance to name it. So I didn't have a recording. I found the two parts, the avi and the wav parts, in the windows temp folder. I tried to use Pinnacle Studio 12 to combine the parts and also Final Cut Express. Neither could open either of the files. Is there a way to take these two files and combine them so I can have one file of the recording that I can playback on my computer?
Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• Try VirtualDub. It's free -- downloadable several places. Terry does it a different way from what I do, but I don't do much editing, but he does use VirtualDub -- just more fully than I generally need to.

You'll see video (I set it to Direct Stream Copy - its default is Full Processing) and audio (it defaults to Direct Stream Copy).

Then I use F7 to process it, which in this case means just putting the two files together. If the audio is out of sync, you'll be able to adjust it some more. For what I capture, it doesn't really matter whether sync is perfect, but for what you're doing it probably will.

VirtualDub can at least help almost everything.

Terry, our real guru, will probably be along later and can give you more info about editing. All that what I've written tries to do is help you get one editable file.

One more thing: in the past I've renamed the extensions to be sure VirtualDub will understand them. Occasionally I've ended up with two .wav files after CS failed somehow, so I just renamed the extension to what it probably was -- .avi or .wav. So far it's worked.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse further.
  • I downloaded VirtualDub and when I tried to import the video file, I got an error message that "The file "c:\users\Kevin\Desktop\Documentor.avi" is of an unknown or unsupported file type. This is a similar message that I got when I tried to import it into Pinnacle Studio 12 and Final Cut Express (Mac) also could not read the file. Any other ideas? THanks so much!
    Kevin
  • How big was the file? Although VirtualDub can handle files bigger than the 2GB that is the normal limit for an AVI file, there is a limit to the file size it can handle, but I don't know what that limit is. I do remember Terry's posting that if the file is substantially too big, even VDub can do anything with it.

I'm out of ideas, Kevin. I sorta feel like you may just be out of luck. But maybe when Terry stops by he'll have some more thoughts.

Sorry.

Jo
  • The AVI file that was generated is 600MB and the WAV file is 40MB. It looks to me like the avi and wav files created by Camstudio need to be processed such that they are put together, and before then, there is something about the files that makes them unreadable by both standard Windows and Mac video editing programs. I'll stand by to see if Terry has any ideas. Thank you, Jo for your volunteer efforts on my behalf.
    Sincerely,
    Kevin
  • edited January 2012
    KMM,

Sorry, I've been away for weeks.

First, do you you remember what codec you had selected when you made the video initially?

Second, I am surprised that the video portion so far exceeded the size of the audio - usually the reverse is true.

Thirdly, when you say you try to import/open the video, make certain to check the box at the bottom of the "open" screen that says "Ask for extended options after this dialog" is checked. Select your file, then check the topmost checkbox that says, "Re-derive Keyframe Flags". You might also want to check "Open in AVI File Compatibility Mode". Try both ways. Sometimes just opening in AVI File Compatibility Mode is all that's needed.
  • edited January 2012
    When the video opens, from the Video menu, select "Direct Stream Copy".
  • edited January 2012
    From the audio menu, choose "Audio from other file" and be sure to select the .wav file, as it will show both the .avi and .wav. Then "Save as AVI" the video. Let me know how it goes. If it works, you can then open the new version and re-compress the audio and video using "Full Processing Mode" for either or both.

Terry