This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Editing/compositing Xvid recording?

edited August 2011 in Common Tips & Tricks
I love the Xvid codec but one big issue is, how do you Edit or composite Xvid screen recording?

I just made a 30 mins HD recording at around 400 Mo (pretty sweet!) but Adobe Premiere is not too happy with Xvid footage so what would you recommend me to do to edit the footage : speed up some sections, add some on screen notes .... Is uncompressing the video with Virtual Dub the only option or do you know some editing software happy with Xvid?

Comments

• by the way, thanks a lot for all the tips on the CamStudio forum, it took me a while to make the audio sync with the video
  • oliveuk,

Uncompressed is the best approach. From this site: http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Xvid

Input: Xvid uses temporal compression, which is not suitable for editing. Using Xvid files as source clips will cause you a lot of grief. Convert them to “uncompressed AVI” or “DV AVI” before importing them into Premiere Pro.
    Output: Export your Premiere Pro project to an “uncompressed AVI” or “DV AVI” file and then use other software to encode to Xvid. Another possibility is to install Frameserver plugin (Debugmode Frameserver) and frameserve to another program, such as VirtualDub. One would File->Export->Movie and choose Frameserve as output format. This approach saves disk space (no need for an extra large file).

See the site for a step-by-step guide.

Terry
  • nice one! Thanks a lot Terry! VirtualDub 64 didn't want to open the Premiere Frameserver .avi file but the 32 bit version did! Cheers

Uncompressed .avi in Premiere doesn't mean much those day. It is nowhere as functional as in older versions.
  • oliveuk,

Anything else you discover about using CamStudio with Premiere is welcomed info!

Keep me posted as to your successes.

Terry