This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Beta or stable (RTM) version?

edited August 2012 in Support
Hello,
I have two questions:
I downloaded and installed Camstudio installer from camstudio.org, but it says in the programs and features control panel (win7) item that it is a beta version (in the version column: 2.6 Beta r294). Is it really a beta version, if yes where can I download the stable version?

My other question: there is a button which states I need to install Xnote stopwatch, can't I hide that button, if I don't use it?
Thanks

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Well, yes, it is a beta version, but is very stable. It does have some bugs and quirks:

http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/350/known-bugs-and-limitations-from-wikibooks-article

The one-pixel-over error keeps switching between Region:Fixed and Region:Window between versions - one fix seems to break the other, it would seem. But compensation is simple in both cases. You know you've run into it when an MPEG-4 style codec like Xvid or DivX reports it cannot use the current compressor. Those require even-numbered width and height, with Divx further requiring a width divisible by 4.

There is a new beta version (2.6c) that actually solves a major issue with the codecs not appearing correctly, and it switches the one-pixel-over error once again! That version requires the newer Microsoft C++ Runtime libraries from 2010 and 7zip to unzip. It has no installer, running from its own folder, so may be a candidate for portable use if the host computer has the MS C++ Runtime libraries already installed.

See this post for the links: http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/comment/4331#Comment_4331

Terry

• Thanks, and is the latest RTM version (2.0) compatible with Win7 32 and 64bit?

To the other question: there is a button which states I need to install Xnote stopwatch, can't I hide that button, if I don't use it?
  • edited August 2012
    2.0 will work with Win7 - I use it to record tutorials of using 2.6! (See the 2012 tech seminar)

Don't worry about the Xnote stopwatch - that is only for people who have that product. It was included as an extra to benefit owners of that software. You cannot hide it without re-compiling the software, as there is no preference setting built-in to hide any buttons (that I know of).

Terry
  • Thanks for the answers.