This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Problem generating long video

edited May 2009 in Support
Hello everyone,

I've installed CamStudio on 2 PC's that belong to a domain. Some weeks ago I was able to record a session that lasted almost 2 hours without any problems using an administration account, on one computer.
Today, on another computer, I recorded a session that lasted 3 hours using a account without administration rights. The session seemed to be recorded (blinking cursor), but when I hit the stop button I got a message sbout some file not beeing found, and I was enable to generate the video. I've looked everywhere for a temporary file that CamStudio might use before generating the actual video, but with no luck. This is strange because I previously made a small test video to see if CamStudio was generating the videos, and the test file was generated sucesfully.
Having put this I have 3 questions:

- Is it a known issue that CamStudio has problems recording long videos?
- Is there any temporary file or something else that enables me to still generate the v

Comments

• Hi Roberto

To answer your questions ...

1. Yes there is a known limit for CamStudio - 2GB is the max filesize you can have (AVI 1.0 Format) - anytime you go over that limit you run into trouble with files not being found.

2. If you are recording directly to SWF, there is a source AVI file providing you haven't set it to be deleted after SWF generation (Options > Record to Flash Options > Delete the intermediate AVI upon completion)

The temporarily file location is configured in (Options > Program Options > Temporary directory for recording) - you can specify your own there as well.

3. I wouldn't have thought so - CamStudio should have just recorded that section of the screen the screensaver covered.

HTH

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • Thank you for the quick and concise response Nick.

The problem was certainly the 2GB max filesize restriction and from now on I will be sure to take into account that issue. Unfortunelly I had the "Delete the intermediate AVI upon completion" option activated so I will deactivated hopping that it will help.

Best regards