This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Problem with a CamStudio temp file

edited December 2012 in Support
Hi there. Well.. I posted the same topic on Videohelp's forum, but I thought I'd give a try here too. So following now is a copy-paste from the Videohelp's topic (http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/351240-Problem-with-a-CamStudio-Recorder-temp-file):

-edit-Umm.. not sure why I couldn't paste the entire post here. It gave me: "Body is 430 characters too long." So I guess you can read the post in the link I posted above.-/edit-

Well.. to give you a short summary, then I've got a 4 GB temp file recording and it's impossible to get it to work..

All the best,
omgcam

Comments

• First thing to do is ignore all of the answers on the other board - they’re all wrong. What’s happened is that you’ve used the Cinepack codec, which produced a file too large to process as an AVI 1 video. You can’t go larger than 2GB and process the file normally. The solution is to use a compression method which will produce a much smaller (and better quality) video such as Xvid MPEG-4 or x264. There are quite a few of threads on this board which discuss which settings etc. to use.

Ken
  • edited December 2012
    Hello, thanks for answering!

Umm.. you're saying that choosing the Cinepack codec (which was the default one) was wrong, and I should've choosed another one. Well.. but the two other recordings were also made with the same settings.

Something like this:
    Format : AVI at 4 013 Kbps
    Length : 3.47 GiB for 2h 3mn 44s 935ms

Video #0 : Cinepack at 3 847 Kbps
    Aspect : 1920 x 1080 (1.778) at 200.000 fps

Or the other one:
    Format : AVI at 3 418 Kbps
    Length : 3.39 GiB for 2h 21mn 51s 655ms

Video #0 : Cinepack at 3 275 Kbps
    Aspect : 1920 x 1080 (1.778) at 200.000 fps

But yeah.. the difference I guess is that, this particular recording, which didn't transform from a temp file to an actual video file seems to be that, it crossed 4GB file size. Perhaps there's a limit on Cinepack not to process recordings over 4GB?

Umm.. you're saying that I should use a different compression? For the future recordings, I suppose? Guess that means that I can say adios to that "temp file" recording? So it's just 4GB of emptyness?

omgcam
  • edited December 2012
    4 GB is the folder limit for FAT 32 filing systems. 2 GB is the limit at which AVI 1 files can be processed normally. Cinepak is not the default for CamStudio. It’s unfortunately found on most computers and shows up in the dropdown list of available codecs.

You might have a look at this thread for a suggestion as to how to rescue too-large temp files:

http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/1126/please-read-two-limitations-of-camstudio-max-file-size2gb-and-full-motion-recordings

Problem is that even if you can salvage such a file, you’ll wind up with a pretty poor quality video due to the nature of the Cinepak codec. Since recording that large a capture area will eat up a lot of file size very quickly, you really need to use a compression method which will both produce usable size files and provide good motion capture and resolution. Both MPEG-4 and x264 will do that, so it’s best to have a look through these threads for advice on how to use them.

Also, there seems to be a lot of confusion on the other board as to FPS settings. You cannot set the frame rate at 30 unless you are planning to process the video using a video editor and the “capture frames every” setting is evenly divisible into 1000. Otherwise your capture/playback rates, when multiplied, must equal 1000 or your audio will be out of sync. The easiest way is to record using settings of 5/200 and then use Any Video Converter to reduce the playback rate to 30 FPS, as shown at the 7:30 mark of this video.

http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/980/2012-camstudio-2.0-and-2.6-b-c-tech-webinar-win7-xvid-audio-video-settings-etc-

It’s advisable to view this entire video to get a better idea of how CamStudio works.

Ken
  • edited January 2013
    Well, it's been over a month since I posted this topic, but I would like to get a straight yes/no answer - is it possible to get this file readable or not? Well.. I said that this video is not that important to me.. but now it is, since I've got an exam coming up on video editing with Premiere Pro, and well I could watch from the video, what we did/used, how you can use effects and so on. Well, yeah, there's also an option to watch tutorials on YouTube, but that's not quite the same.

omgcam
  • The fact that Avidemux can’t open it up is a pretty good indication that it’s a dead duck, since that program does very well with the CVID codec, unless the file is corrupted, and in this case a file that large would be hopelessly corrupted. You’d have to re-make it using MPEG-4 or x264 and use Avidemux to do the editing, unless you’ve found some way to make your Premiere Pro accept that type of compression. (I’ve given up on Premiere Pro completely but mine is an older version, and they may have improved its usability since). Just keep in mind that your captured file cannot exceed 2 GB, or you’ll not be able to process that file into a working video stream.

Ken