This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Can't get codecs to show in options

edited January 2013 in General Discussion
Hello all. I've been using camstudio for a while now, and I really like it, with once exception. I can't get good video quality out of any of the factory installed codecs. After a lot of tinkering, I was able to get the lossless codec to work, and it provides much better image quality. The problem is that the lossless codec requires I sit and watch the filesize, then stop and restart every 5 minutes or so before the filesize reaches 2GB. This results in gigantic file sizes and multiple files. It's not a huge deal to go back and compress them with moviemaker, but it's a major annoyance with all the starting and stopping. It's not uncommon to end up with 6-8 2 GB files from recording one conversation.

I would love to use an H.264 codec, and I have downloaded several, but they will not show in the options menu, much like the initial problem trying to get the lossless codec to work. I've searched the forums and tried numerous ways to correct this over a period of several months, none of them successful. I'm running the 294 build, and the machine is a windows 7 64 bit machine. I saw mention of needing the 2012 version of C++, but my PC shows 7 different versions in the programs list, including multiples of 2005, 2008, and 2010 versions. Any help would be greatly apreciated, I'm at the end of my rope here.

Comments