This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Technodummy - help needed!

edited February 2013 in Support
Hi, I downloaded CamStudio and tried to follow some of the YouTube videos, but the tech language didn't mean anything to me. I think I have recorded a session, but Windows MediaPlayer says:

'Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file' I've read help about codec but I don't understand it. Can someone tell me what to do in idiot-proof language please?

Comments

• You should first read this:

http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/1126/please-read-two-limitations-of-camstudio-max-file-size2gb-and-full-motion-recordings#Item_23

Then watch the 2012 tech webinar recording and other videos at YouTube.

http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/980/2012-camstudio-2.0-and-2.6-b-c-tech-webinar-win7-xvid-audio-video-settings-etc-

Here is the YouTube playlist link for all the tutorials I did:

Let me know if you need more help Be sure to read the "Show more" sections beneath the videos, which have links and extra stuff sometimes.

Terry
  • Thanks Terry, BUT the language is technical gobbledegook to me. I don't understand any of it. Is there something in English that makes it simple and straightforward?

e.g. For a file to work you need to download X. If it still doesn't work go [here], press this button [button name] and wait until you see this message [blah blah blah].

I have watched about four of the playlist (and had done prior to the query), but I need an idiot-proof step by step guide.

Even the second link above assumes I know a whole lot of technical language: I don't really understand all of the para below - and what is 720p?

It even covers running version 2.0 on a Windows 7 machine so you can start up a second session when the first is nearing going overtime (that is, going over the 2-gigabyte file size limit). If you begin recording with version 2.0, you can get three concurrent sessions this way! (Just start up recording with 2.0 first, but as it explains in the video, open 2.6 the program first followed by 2.0, as they will not both open in the reverse order.) Audio settings, Xvid settings,
  • edited February 2013
    Well, to defend myself - that really IS English, but some terms you may need to look up via a Google search.

Whenever you see 720p or 1080p, it is describing the High Definition (HD) screen size, and the number represents the height.

That paragraph means you can record two sessions. You cannot go over 2 gigabytes in file size or CamStudio will crash, so that is a workaround.

Google the terms you don't understand. I'll create a "Google-averse" version of the videos someday for non-technical folks.

Terry
  • You asked, I did.

Here is a more complete tutorial, from downloading through making the right settings to hitting the record button.

Let me know if I left anything out - I can add stuff through annotations or re-do the video at another time.

Terry