This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Which compressor is best to use

edited April 2013 in General Discussion
Hi!

Which compressor is best to use, if you want a super smoode playback?

Comments

• It seems x.264vfw and Xvid win the prize, considering this thread.

http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/1138/settings-for-high-quality-and-small-filesize#Item_9

To which it was added by Vopo later:
    "I made another one in Xvid. I changed settings to Profile unrestricted, disable packed bitstream & b-VOPs, Quality preset real time, Target bitrate 8500 kbps (2:19, 45mb) In my opinion this one saves the honour for Xvid. But x264 still runs a bit smoother. "

Links to x.264vfw in that thread.
    Jawor's Xvid can be found here: http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download.php?sid=1052&ssid=0&did=14

Terry

• I have been trying to record a video with audio that's 405 seconds long and camstudio keeps giving me varying messages that ultimately boil down to it can't open it, change the name, change the save location etc etc. I thought it may have gone over the 2gb limit but as I can't save it or open it with anything else I don't know what size it is. Anyway, I recorded it using xvid and ended up with audio but no video, the screen was just black.
    Please could you offer some help with this? I am the most untech savvy chap in the world and have tomorrow to get this sorted before having to produce the goods for the weekend. I've trawled through loads of posts in the forums and quite frankly haven't understood one iota!
    Thanks!
    Mark

Mark 9:03PM

Sorry, what I should have said originally is that the video codec used initially was Microsoft Video 1. That's the one where CS couldn't open, save, rename. The black screen occurred when I used xvid.
  • Sounds like the first one with MS Video 1 went over 2GB.

Could you try opening the video made with Xvid using a different media player than the one you used initially? Sometimes that is all the issue is. Also, are you uploading to YouTube? If so, the black screen issue will go away once they finish processing it.

Terry