This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Using CamStudio With Cubase/Sibelius (help?)

Hi folks,

I really need help with something which is causing me a massive headache please !! Aghhhh......

I would like to try and make a couple of videos to whack up on You Tube. What I need is the software were you can film the entire screen of your PC (so exactly what someone would see at their end if they were taking remote access of your computer). There are many instructional videos on You Tube that show (music software products such as) Cubase/Sibelius were the narrator just talks in the background and all you see is his PC screen and what he is doing on it within the music program.

One option is to hold a camcorder in front of the screen but this method looks a bit amateur.

A friend of mine uses CamStudio to create his music videos (though he uses it in a slightly different way). Well anyway, I spent THREE days now trying to get this screen catcher software recording the elements of audio I require, though to no avail. The CamStudio captured all the screenwork in Cubase/Sibelius and otherwise, but SOUND was a different story. It would record me talking into a headset mic and would playback fine. Also, it would record my external synth (running into an external soundcard Interface) and back out thru the connected headphones. What it damn well would NOT do (and I swear I have tried every possible permutation I could think of) is :-

Record the INTERNAL sound of audio files playing in Cubase !! I could hear them when I pressed play (with the CamStudio running in 'record' mode), but no sound whatsoever during playback. So just like a silent movie picture.

So anyway, what I need is software which will (all at once on the same PC) :-

Record my voice (narration) thru my Sennheiser headset mic,

Record the SYSTEM SOUND,

and Record the full-size screen imagery as I film the tutorial.

I am totally at a loss on how to get this to work ?? The issue seems to be that it does not like the Steinberg C12+ external interface (but the problem is that I NEED this in order for Cubase to function !!).

I hope I have explained this ok and I thank you all in advance for any kind assistance offered. I am now at a total loss and have asked so many friends and family who are not able to advise. I also did watch Terry's You Tube instructionals but they did not deal with the problem as it presents itself in my (perhaps) unique scenario.

If it can not cope with performing all of the three aforementioned tasks at once, then I would be happy to drop the Senheisser headset mic and record the narration as an 'overdub' at a separate stage (say, in Audacity).

I have also tried Fraps and APowerSoft this week. Someone has also recommended ATube Catcher.

This is my first post so I hope I have submitted it to the correct category. Apologies if now.

Many thanks in advance guys...

Ta,

Paul

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Look at Voicemeeter and the HiFi Virtual Cable and the ASIO interface he offers if Cubase is only sending sound into ASIO (bypassing the Windows system audio.) You could use ASIO4ALL, but this will be easier. One thing that I found in my tests is that ALL the bit and sample rates have to be the same across all the different items of software - in your Windows audio Playback and Recording Devices Advanced tabs, in the Voicemeeter HiFi Cable and anywhere else you can find!

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

and

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm

This is a very superior solution over trying to get Stereo Mix to work! But it only works if you can send the sound to the Analog Speakers playback device (not headphone jacks or anywhere else). Voicemeeter overcomes that limitation. And the HiFi Virtual Cable allows connecting to ASIO inputs and outputs.

Check them out at Google Plus here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/110557338955940627490/posts

In particular, this post on using the newest Voicemeeter with Cubase:

https://plus.google.com/110557338955940627490/posts/S87ndkHfg2n

Let me know if you need more help figuring it out. I don't use Cubase (Harrison Mixbus here, based on Ardour 2) but I understand the particulars of your situation. Just the basic Voicemeeter program may be all you require, so try that first.

Terry
  • Thanks terry,

I will check all this out over the weekend ta.

Much appreciated.

I have just been on Skype/Team Viewer to Hong Kong for an hour regarding an alternative software called APowerSoft. Here is the dialogue if you care to read.

Best,

Paul

[01:59:25] monsterjazzlicks: If you click on the BOTTOM 3rd ICON on the left....

[01:59:40] monsterjazzlicks: That will open STEINBERG CUBASE

[02:00:00] monsterjazzlicks: The music software i use and want to video/record.

[02:01:42] monsterjazzlicks: This program NEEDS to have its STEINBERG INTERFACE connecetd to work !!
    [02:02:17] monsterjazzlicks: (Line Steinberg C12+)

[02:03:11] monsterjazzlicks: Steinberg program will crash if not connected !!

[02:03:26] Apowersoft Tech Support: It seems ok, now you can test it

[02:04:00] monsterjazzlicks: What about the VIRTUAL SOUNDCARD (Apowersoft) ??

[02:04:08] Apowersoft Tech Support: Does not matter

[02:04:35] monsterjazzlicks: But it kept saying NOT INSTALLED ?? And CRASHED when i kept trying ???

[02:04:47] Apowersoft Tech Support: It will send sounds from virtual sound card to your Steinberg

[02:06:18] Apowersoft Tech Support: Could you hear the sound?

[02:06:43] monsterjazzlicks: NO SOUND on playback still !!

[02:07:01] Apowersoft Tech Support: I think you need to restart your software

[02:07:10] Apowersoft Tech Support: Cubase

[02:07:13] monsterjazzlicks: i could hear it when VIDEO RECORDING.

[02:07:29] monsterjazzlicks: Will a restart make a difference ??

[02:08:34] Apowersoft Tech Support: Yes, some applications will use the default device to play any sounds, so I think restart will make a difference

[02:12:32] monsterjazzlicks: Sound is under VST AUDIO

[02:12:48] monsterjazzlicks: DEVICES at the top.

[02:15:02] Apowersoft Tech Support: Steinberg Interface is Virtual Sound Card?

[02:15:46] monsterjazzlicks: No, its a physical external device with jack audio leads in !!

[02:15:55] Apowersoft Tech Support: Could you hear the sound?

[02:16:08] monsterjazzlicks: Right now ?? YES.

[02:16:32] Apowersoft Tech Support: But it seems no any sounds in Sound window.

[02:17:14] monsterjazzlicks: The METER should be flashing green light.

[02:17:22] Apowersoft Tech Support: You can see, the device Line Steinberg C12+, not any sounds
    [02:17:55] monsterjazzlicks: But my STEINBERG is definately working fine.

[02:18:15] monsterjazzlicks: The lights and sound just worked when you did that TEST.

[02:18:30] Apowersoft Tech Support: If i right-click on it and select Test, I can see the sounds

[02:19:17] Apowersoft Tech Support: So, the device must has sound, and then the Apowersoft Screen Recorder Pro can record it.

[02:19:34] monsterjazzlicks: The music it coming out of the DELL PC speakers AND my EXTERNAL MONITORS (which are connected to the STEINBERG EXTERNAL INTERFACE) !!!

[02:22:32] Apowersoft Tech Support: A little strange

[02:23:47] monsterjazzlicks: i was advised by my local PC shop that i VIRTUAL JACK CONNECTOR might fix the problem.

[02:24:16] Apowersoft Tech Support: Yes, your local pc shot is right.

[02:28:30] Apowersoft Tech Support: I think the problem was caused by the audio device.

[02:28:43] monsterjazzlicks: My Steinberg external interface ??

[02:28:50] Apowersoft Tech Support: Did you try to upgrade the audio device driver?

[02:29:27] monsterjazzlicks: The drivers for the Steinberg interface are up to date.

[02:32:28] *** Apowersoft Tech Support sent AsioSimpleRecorder.exe ***

[02:32:38] Apowersoft Tech Support: Accept this file

[02:34:11] monsterjazzlicks: ok

[02:36:46] monsterjazzlicks: RUN everything as ADMINISTRATOR !!

[02:38:50] Apowersoft Tech Support: Sorry, all our tools could not read your ASIO audio device.

[02:39:05] Apowersoft Tech Support: The device Steinberg C12+

[02:39:30] Apowersoft Tech Support: I will feedback this to our developers. Sorry :D
  • Nothing like it! :-)

I think you'll like Voicemeeter.

Terry
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Terry,

Ok, right, so I need the Virtual Hi Fi Cable and also the Voicemeeter. I watched the tutorial which was excellent and of very good quality. So I just need to download and install these two softwares (on my Win7 and Win8.1 PC's, because I have Cubase installed on both) and then configure the settings as in the tutorial video? I don't need to actually change anything WITHIN Cubase itself?

And this software is free and safe? Naturally I always worry about installing 3rd party products but I assume that you have tried and tested these.

I am extremely grateful for your kind assistance here. You would honestly not believe the time, trouble, incorrect advice, etc I have experienced since last Friday. I was studying on a MOOC course in Music Production but had to abandon it in Week Two because I just could not get the required software up and running to create the weekly Assignment.

You are very clever indeed Mr Terry ! Are you the CREATOR of CamStudio ?

Best,

Paul
  • edited May 2014
    btw - I just found the RH corner yellow star !! (THANKS!). (*)
  • Here's my MOOC (week one) submission if you have 10 x mins spare. Its a bit MAD !! lol
    :P :P :P :P :P

• edited May 2014
    First, YES I've tested those two with Harrison Mixbus, Ardour, and Ableton Live. They all work through my Scarlett 2i2 ASIO via the Voicemeeter stuff. The Voicemeeter programmer/developer is also an accomplished plugin developer.

I'm only the help-desk person here along with a few others who contribute regularly. A new programmer has been engaged (thus the advert-based installer) to re-write several of the routines fixing some long-standing problems CamStudio has had.

I do not have Cubase, but if you run into problems let me know and I'll whip up a tutorial on how I get Voicemeeter to work with my ASIO software.

Terry
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Terry,

Where have you been all my life? ha ha...

You are doing a SUPERB job in the running of answering questions and so forth. Very much appreciated to say the least. You are so clever, I don't know how you can solve all these problems etc. You must have a Bachelor of Science Degree or something?!

Now that you have confirmed the excellence of these two softwares I will trust your word and install them.

I will keep you updated in due course.

Best,

Paul
  • edited May 2014
    Way cool video, btw! :-)

AND I have merely an associates degree in Graphic Arts and Imaging Technologies (Printing!), from which I fell into a professorship teaching the same materials for about five years at a community college. But, I've been a geeky electronic musician since 1972.
  • Hi Terry,

THANKS for checkin' out my video! I was a teacher in London for four years and so I developed a bit of my own style (if you like) along the way. As far as I can remember, 90% of the teachers at school were BORING and so how can they not be blamed for their lack of motivated and disinterested pupils? I don't see why anyone would get a job in education if they were not passionate and able to be (at least) slightly animated and engaging in their delivery of the subject. I have spoken to many people (of your generation) and I repeatedly hear that most lessons consisted of the teacher handing out text books and the whole class sitting in silence for an hour reading them! And that was the LESSON! Is that really 'teaching'?

If you are into your musical electronics, I have a MiniMoog Model D (1983), and also a MultiMoog (1979)! :-c

I emailed Vincent this morning with a couple of questions. Below is a copy (because it might also serve as help to any other CamStudio members seeking the same answers).

Best,

Paul
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Vincent,

Your software was recommended to me by Terry Vincent from the CamStudio forum site.

I have Cubase (music software) and I am trying to make some tutorial videos. But for a whole week I have had serious issues in trying to record SYSTEM SOUND using various different softwares (I downloaded the 28 x day 'trial' periods of these). Basically, these softwares do not like the Cubase external soundcard-interface (CI2+), but Cubase NEEDS the soundcard to be able to function! Emoji

Anyway, Terry suggested your excellent products but I am a little confused about something, sorry. He said for me to download the 'Hi-Fi Virtual Lead' but I could not see a specific download button for this. Only a button for the VB Cable Driver. Is this the SAME thing please? I downloaded this latter because it was the only Virtual Cable I could see but I am not sure if its the correct one or not?

Secondly, I have just downloaded both products for my (home) Dell PC running Win7. But I also have a (work) DELL PC but it is running Win8.1. Do you cater for this latter OS? Or only up to Win7?

Thanks very much indeed and I hope this email reaches you ok. If we can get it all up and running then I will happily make a donation via PayPal.

Kind regards,

Paul Seaman (UK)

Hello,

Thanks for your e-mail,

VB-Cables are just virtual audio driver to connect 2 applications together.

HIFI-Cable is also a VB-Cable to manage high samplerate and works with ASIO Bridge to connect Windows application to ASIO Device.

Voicemeeter is a virtual Mixing console, providing a Virtual I/O in all format (including virtual ASIO device to connect Cubase on it). www.voicemeeter.com

That’s why I recommend to use Voicemeeter directly to route and mix different audio sources to different audio point, including audio pro software using ASIO (like Cubase).

See documentation:

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/Voicemeeter_UserManualR2.pdf

we just released the Voicemeeter 1.0.2.7 , which is validated with Cubase 7 , you can find the direct link on our Facebook / G+ page.

All these software work on XP to latest Win 8.1 (32 or 64 bits).

(end of text)
  • Is it USUAL (normal) for the user to always switch/change 'playback/record' Devices (on the PC) depending on what task you are performing?

For instance, if I am using Skype, recording a video in VoiceMeeter, using Cubase etc, I always need to dip into my PC Audio Properties and make certain adjustments? I have always left things set as they are and when I connect (say) my Steinberg interface and fire up Cubase, every just WORKS! But I am thinking here (esp. after watching the VB tutorials) that I need to manually make adjustments each time depending on what software or task I want to use/achieve?

In other words, there is not 'one setting suits all'. Maybe you can SAVE you settings within VB VoiceMeeter (??) but I need to check the manual on this.

Its not a massive issue to keep resetting things each project, but for me at least, I will probably have to make a note in pen and paper.
  • Hi again Terry,

I have a few questions please regarding CamStudio which have been troubling me since I started using it. Don't get me wrong, its a totally brilliant program but I think I may be experiencing some quirks.

Whenever I minimize CamStudio (ie. by manually clicking on the little window icon, as you would do normally) the program won't maximize again! So then I am not able to access it again because it has disappeared off the screen. Therefore, its running (filming) but I cant turn it off. Clicking on the CamStudio icon on the lower toolbar also does not bring it back to regular size. The only way I can get out of this pickle is to start Task Manager, but when I stop CamStudio from running the whole screen flashes massive random colours very rapidly. I then have to sign out of my PC and sign in again (as if you were switching User). Or I have to completely crash my PC. So basically I can never minimize CamStudio because of this issue. Have you ever experienced this before? It also happens on my Win8.1 PC.

Sometimes when I Save a file after recording the video, it saves 3 x separate files. A text file, Wav and an AVI. Then I can't play the file because it is in 3 x individual components! But other times it seems to Save correctly (as a single file)?

And finally, CamStudio does not always Save my Preferences for some reason? They often default back to the factory settings. Is there a more definite way the Save these or should CamStudio be able to recall them? Obviously I have ticked the right boxes for it to at least Save them around 50% of the time.

Anyway, if you can help me out with these Q's I will be extremely grateful indeed. I am going to copy this into the forum thread anyway so you can reply there if you so wish.

Regarding all your very kind and helpful advice on the VoiceMeeter, I will be uploading a video shortly and it would be great if you could take a look please. I will keep you posted...

Best,

Paul
  • I would just leave Voicemeeter or the HiFi cable as the default devices full time.

I answered your other questions via email. Hope you got it!

Terry