This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Windows 8.1 64bit

edited November 2014 in General Discussion
I've been using CamStudio for years and each time I upgrade my computer I find a way to install it on the new computer. However, I have just switched from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and tried to download and install. Firstly my AVG internet protection said there was a threat with the .exe file. Secondly, I tried again and got a Windows 8 message saying that CamStuido will not work on this system. I'm heartbroken.. what am I going to do?
Regards,
Laura

Comments

• It works fine on Windows 8.1 64-bit machines, but you need a couple things.

First, a version that doesn't trigger AVG (which hates the advert-supported installer):
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/files/stable/CamStudio_2.7_r316_setup.exe/download

Next, you need the 32-bit Microsoft C++ Runtime Libraries installed:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328

That should do it!

Terry
  • That's fabulous - so glad there is a chance I can carry on using CamStudio. Thank you so very much.
    I'm making progress, but teething problems. I am comparing this new version with the one on my Windows 7 Computer and they are slightly different. The one on my W7 computer is V2 - this new one is V2.7. My first error message is "CamStudio 2.7.cfg Config file was not found. Using defaults". Clicking OK, the program loads, white screen rather than the black I'm used to with V2.
    Next problem, when I select a region to record, another message "CamStudio could not record the AVI file using the current compressor. Use default compressor?". It won't let me click on yes, so I have to click on no. Sometimes it attempts to record, then everything freezes and I have to "end task".
    I think I need to do some homework and research about setting it up. Is it possible to keep on using V2 on my Windows 8.1?

Thanks again for your help, I'm thrilled to know I might be able to use it again.
    Laura
  • Further... I have made some progress.. so I've answered most of the questions above... just wondered about the different Versions though - V2 or V2.7. Thanks again.
    Laura
  • Both V2.0 and V2.7 work well - they have the same basic engines. You can run version 2.0 at the same time as 2.7 if you start 2.7 first, handy to make CamStudio how-to videos! The new 2.7 has many features making it easier to get the audio to sync with the video and more options as well in the Program Options section. It also has the cursor highlighting feature, the ability to set an automatic stop time by setting length, and other niceties.

Sometimes the config files break, but you found the first answer. There is a sticky post here above concerning that. Yes, the background is white now.

If you use most modern compressors, the width and height have to be even numbers. I use the FIXED region to set that up, as its "Select" button still allow me to drag to select a region first, and then I can correct the numbers to make them even ones. Un-check the top/left checkbox there if you want to record that setting frm the Select button, then re-check it afterward.

Windows 8.1 has no problem with version 2.0, but you might need the 2008 version of the runtime libraries.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582

Terry