This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

New to Video Recording...Could I Get Some Advice?

edited September 2009 in Support
I was referred to CamStudio by a mentor who is giving me some IM assignments. The latest one calls for video, and this was the 'no-cost' option. However, when I originally downloaded one of the files (codecs?), I received a warning from somewhere (it's been a couple of weeks, so I don't remember where) that it may not be compatible with XP and may cause my system to become unstable.

Reading through several threads in the forum to see if I could find an answer, I have realized I have a bigger problem. No clue what you guys are talking about!

What would be your advice for someone who is relatively fearless when it comes to using new software, but has no time to learn everything there is to know? I just need a solution that will allow me to quickly do a screen capture of a PowerPoint window, along with some voice commentary.

I am using XP, have a fairly heavy resource load going but could scale back if necessary, have no idea what video or sound card I'm using, or for that matter what processor. Can find out. Is it necessary to know before downloading the correct file for CamStudio? If I knew these things, could someone advise me as to which file and what settings to use for my assignment?

Thanks for any help!

Cheri

Comments

• Click on this link for CamStudio tutorial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiug3H3c4gk
    There are many Youtube tutorials. Just search CamStudio in search box on Youtube.
    Hope this helps.