This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Cannot open project files using Visual Studio 2005 SP1

edited January 2010 in Code Contributions
Camstudio - latest SVN trunk.
VS 2005 SP1. 8.0.50727.762 (SP .050727-7600) .NET V2 SP2.

When I open a (any) project (sln or vcproj) file I get this error:-

"The following error has occurred during XML parsing:-
File: C:\camstudio\trunk\CamStudio\Recorder\Recorder.vcproj
Line: 10
Column: 2
Error Message:
'9.00' violates enumeration constraint of '7.00 7,00 7.10 7,10 8.00 8,00'.
The attribute 'Version' with value '9.00' failed to parse.
The file 'C:\camstudio\trunk\CamStudio\Recorder\Recorder.vcproj' has failed to load."

There are some bugs I'd like to fix WRT the ini/param file stuff in version 2.6.

Cheers
Colin Jenkins
sailwave.com

Comments

• Presumably I need to get from version 8 to version 9 somehow.
  • I've installed every upgrade possible for VS 2005 Stdndard and cannot open the project files as above.

Details:-

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
    Version 8.0.50727.762 (SP.050727-7600)
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 2.0.50727 SP2

Installed Edition: Standard

Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 77633-235-1577206-41534
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2005

Microsoft Visual C# 2005 77633-235-1577206-41534
    Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 77633-235-1577206-41534
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Microsoft Visual J# 2005 77633-235-1577206-41534
    Microsoft Visual J# 2005

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 77633-235-1577206-41534
    Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005 77633-235-1577206-41534
    Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
    Version 8.0.50727.762

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)
    This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU (KB971023)
    This Security Update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this Security Update will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971023

Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU (KB971090)
    This Security Update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this Security Update will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971090

Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition - ENU (KB973673)
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973673
  • As far I understood the blog comments - the trunk was tweaked so VS 2005 could be used...?
  • I use VS 2008 (aka version 9) and have checked in revisions to the solution file. This appears to have broken backwards compatibility with VS2005. Im going to try to figure out how I can restore that compatibility and hopefully report back tonight.
  • edited January 2010
    Okay, so this looks like its going to be a messy process and one that I can't help with too much because I don't have VS2005. If you can't upgrade (and I understand how expensive VS is), then I think you are going to have to recreate the project and solution files. Originally I wanted to rollback to when I had put in changes with VS2008, but there have been so many changes in the repository since upgrading, and even then it looks like it went right from VS version 7.10 to 9.00. I don't know of any features from VS2008 we are using that would prevent it from being usable in VS2005. If you are successful, PLEASE check in the solution and project files to the repository for other users. If you need help with the dependencies or otherwise recreating the project files, contact me via email (CamStudio in subject to avoid spam filter) and I can try to help via IM.
  • edited January 2010
    Is there any documentation about what needs to be built and in what order etc etc. Getting confused here. Is there anybody else working on stuff and if so is there any chatter about who's doing what, or is it all a bit quiet...?
  • I'm the only one that has been contributing to the source repository on sourceforge for about the last year. I am not aware of any actively developed branches. I would like to expand the development effort and am willing help you get started. With the limited number of developers, I think threads on this forum are sufficient to coordinate development efforts. If at some point in the future we expand to include more developers then we will have to adopt a more formal system used by bigger open source projects.

To see what I've finished recently, check out http://www.bleeblap.com/CamStudio/weeklybuilds.php. Currently I have been working on fixing all of the bugs related to the global keyboard shortcuts and its terrible GUI. Before adding new features, I think its important that we fix enough bugs to release an updated version.

Currently there is not much (any?) good documentation such as a developers guide or build instructions. It would be nice to create this stuff, but that takes time.
  • I found a copy of VS2005 at work today and was able to compile cam studio with it. I have uploaded the project and solution files here:

http://www.bleeblap.com/CamStudio/vs2005files.zip

I was able to compile and run recorder under debug and release builds. There were a lot of warnings and I didn't really do any testing, but it seemed to work. If you works for you, we will add it to source control.
  • edited January 2010
    Cool, thanks, I'll have a go.... The Dec 7 build (presumably the latest trunk?) has bugs with the ini reading and/or writing - for example - change the audio compression and it is not saved in the ini file (even if save setting on exits is asserted). There seem to be secitons in the camstudio.ini called Audio and Video but the entries are also in the top level section. It's a bit confusing. Also having trouble with producer .ini and .param. I use a command line script to configure the ini files prior to starting recorder and producer but it's stopped working consistently with 2.6 even after tweaking the main section titles.

Recorder is not remembering the last AVI file save path either any more (across executions - OK until closed).
  • edited January 2010
    I tried recorder2005.vcproj - it loads - thanks. but profile.h is including "cstudiolib.h which is in ..\camlib. How do I configure VS to auto look there? I thought default paths were used for <> not ""...?

recorder/profile.h is missing a final #endif - how did that compile! Am I looking at the wrong code perhaps? - looking at the trunk - should I be looking as CS3 branch - what is the CS3 stuff...?

Sorry, years rusty WRT VS and C++... It'll take me a while to get up to speed again...
  • If you open recorder2005.vcproj I don't expect it to compile because there will be unbuilt dependencies. Instead, place all of the *2005.vcproj files next to their .vcproj counterparts and then open the 2005 solution file. Building this way should resolve the issues with camlib because the solution file contians dependency information.

I havn't seen anything with a missing #endif. Its possible that the opening #if is in a missing included file? That seems like realy sloppy design to me, but wouldn't be that surprising. Try building from the solution file and see if that helps.

Since I have been the only developer I have been developing directly in the trunk. I beleive the CS3 was a branch that somebody created thinking they were going to rewrite camstudio version 3 with c sharp. I'm not sure it even builds.
  • Woo... it worked, albeit with a quadzillion warnings - but it worked - my release folder contains everything I could expect and (more importantly) they run...!
  • I'm glad you got it working.

Feel free to fix warnings as you see fit!

Let me know if you have any other questions about how the internal stuff works, and I'll answer them as best I can.

Good luck fixing the ini file stuff.
  • I've found one bug. The doubles like percentLoadedThreshold are being read with %f instead of %Lf (cos it's a double) so that fails and the default value is always used. It's a single character change in N places. Will I have write access to do a svn commit or do I need a password...?
  • You will have to request access to the project on sourceforge to be able to commit to the repository.
  • I've joined SF and requested the join the project via NickTheGeek. PS: I am matchit (Colin Jenkins) on SF. Sailwave is my hobby, Match-IT Limited is my work.
  • Hi BleeBlap, thank you for making the 2005 solution file available. However, after I copied each of the 2005.vcproj files to each of the respective folders, the compilation was not successful. Here are the errors I got: (looks like the main problem is with CamStudio Commandline)

Error 21 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetCursorPos@4 referenced in function "int __cdecl RecordVideo(int,int,int,int,int,char const *)" (?RecordVideo@@YAHHHHHHPBD@Z) CamStudioCommandline.obj

Error 22 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetRect@20 referenced in function "int __cdecl RecordVideo(int,int,int,int,int,char const *)" (?RecordVideo@@YAHHHHHHPBD@Z) CamStudioCommandline.obj

Error 23 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ReleaseDC@8 referenced in function "struct tagBITMAPINFOHEADER * __cdecl captureScreenFrame(int,int,int,int)" (?captureScreenFrame@@YAPAUtagBITMAPINFOHEADER@@HHHH@Z) CamStudioCommandline.obj

Error 24 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DrawIcon@16 referenced in function "struct tagBITMAPINFOHEADER * __cdecl captureScreenFrame(int,int,int,int)" (?captureScreenFrame@@YAPAUtagBITMAPINFOHEADER@@HHHH@Z) CamStudioCommandline.obj

Error 25 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetIconInfo@8 referenced in function "struct tagBITMAPINFOHEADER * __cdecl captureScreenFrame(int,int,int,int)" (?captureScreenFrame@@YAPAUtagBITMAPINFOHEADER@@HHHH@Z) CamStudioCommandline.obj

Error 26 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetDC@4 referenced in function "struct tagBITMAPINFOHEADER * __cdecl captureScreenFrame(int,int,int,int)" (?captureScreenFrame@@YAPAUtagBITMAPINFOHEADER@@HHHH@Z) CamStudioCommandline.obj

Error 27 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetCursor@0 referenced in function "struct HICON__ * __cdecl FetchCursorHandle(void)" (?FetchCursorHandle@@YAPAUHICON__@@XZ) CamStudioCommandline.obj

Error 28 fatal error LNK1120: 7 unresolved externals D:\CamStudio\!SVN\trunk\CamStudio\Debug\CamCommandLine.exe

If it's not too much to ask, can you please upload/share the exact same source code files that you managed to successfully compile in VS 2005? I've had no luck with 2008 at all. Your help will be most appreciated.

Thanx in advance!
  • It looks like you are successfully compiling but it can't find some of the system dlls where other functions are defined. I would check to make sure that the correct libraries are being linked under the project properties. You may have to update the path to where these libraries can be found on your system. Try some general searches on fixing unresolved external symbol errors. The source files found on the repository are the same as the ones I've successfully built with.
  • As this discussion is for VS 2005 and we are now using VS 2008 I think the best we can do now is to close this discussion.
This discussion has been closed.