This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Recording Videos via MMORPGs (Tutorial Thread)

I made a thread over on the Aeria Website: http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1269325

It has a comprehensive tutorial and reference chart for different video cards, etc. It also has a link at the bottom to an old version of ffdshow (which has MSMPEG4, which is needed for the tutorial.) You can get about 25 fps to 30 fps (still looks horrible) on MSMPEG4. Do not re-edit a 1080p video in Windows Movie Maker. WMM cannot handle 1080p, and will quarter size it when you try to re-export it as 1080p (causing huge black borders)

Comments

• coldReactive,

I've had good luck with 1080p exports using the new profiles in Windows Live Movie Maker, the version that comes with Windows 7.

http://PapaJohn.org released some profiles for use with earlier versions.

Thanks for this!

Terry
  • edited August 2011
    Unfortunately, when I tried to export with Windows Live Movie Maker, I got this:

Note the huge black borders. The original video was 200 fps (because at the time, 60 fps made it look horrible, like, 20 fps.) and 1920x1080.

This was exported using 1920 x 1080 custom, because the built-in Windows Live Movie Maker profiles did not have any 1080p (1920 x 1080) at all.
  • coldReactive,

Post this to the Windows Movie Maker Facebook group - that is a very active group and was started and is regularly attended by Papa John.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/107448592669256/

I'm there fairly regularly also, though less as a contributor than as a learner.

Terry
  • edited August 2011
    I don't plan to use facebook ever again, I'm sorry. Nor google+. I signed up just so I could deactivate my account with facebook, so no one could use my email.
  • And now that Google+ has browser games, etc. I will be removing my Google+ stuff, downgrading my google account to not have Google+.
  • coldReactive,

Well, I don't get it - this video came from the default "recommended" export at the top of the list. It is 1080p.

It was a GoToWebinar recording.

Terry
  • But it isn't 1920 x 1080 as you can see, it's 4:3, not 16:9.
  • coldReactive,

Well, sure, but it doesn't have black borders at the top, so it is a full 1080 in height. Do you think the width is what was breaking WLMM so it made those black borders?

Terry
  • edited August 2011
    Maybe, I don't know. I really don't like MS Products, even though they're easier to use than most OSS ones.
  • coldReactive,

I'm on my laptop - when I get onto my Win7 machine, I'll call up the settings I used and let you know what they were. I definitely did not create a custom profile - to my great surprise, the suggested profile worked.

Terry
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah, WMM will not do this, at all, ever. I tried doing the recommended settings at the top of the "Save Movie" list for a movie that was recorded raw (fraps, then transcoded to msmpeg4v2 with ffmpeg) with these "recommended" settings, and it still puts huge borders all around the video, quarter/half sizing it for lower file size. The original video is 1920 in width and 1032 in height, but the "recommended" settings make it 1440 (width) by 1080 (height) with huge black borders)

I just want to merge videos, without having to use FFMPEG's convoluted ways to do it. (I mean really, 5 lines of code?)
  • I just installed avidemux instead, and used its append feature to string all the videos together, Thanks anyway.