This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Xvid vs. VLC

edited July 2012 in Support
I'm trying to record an episode of an anime playing over VLC. I just started using Xvid, which I've heard is the best codec, but whenever I watch my recording, the entire VLC window is pure black. Not to mention there are glitchy blocks at the top of the screen.

Should I switch codecs? Or is there some way to salvage Xvid?

NOTES:
Windows 7
Xvid (64-bit)
Quality: 30
Set Key Frames: 200
Capture Frames: 40 ms
Playback Rate: 25 f/s

Camstudio v. 2.6, r294

Comments

• Dubs,

Hmmm.... an older version of VLC used to do that, but I have not seen that problem crop up recently (I watch all my own vids using VLC made with Jawor's Xvid). What settings are you using for capture window region.

Also, keep in mind that CamStudio only can use the 32-bit version of any codec, as it is itself a 32-bit program. Playback can be with any program/codec though. So, I installed both the 64 and 32 bit versions of Jawor's Xvid.

http://jawormat.republika.pl/xvid.html

Let me know how it goes if you try this version. But do check on your version of VLC that it is the most recent one. VLC didn't work with ANY CamStudio videos for about a year.

Terry
  • edited July 2012
    I had been using the 64-bit version before. I'll download the 32-bit and see if it works. Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, now I have two more problems.

1. Despite the fact that I have both 64-bit and 32-bit versions installed, only one Xvid codec shows up on the list. Xvid MPEG4 Codec.

2. When I try to record using this, an error message comes up: Camstudio could not record the AVI file using the current compressor. Use default compressor?
  • edited July 2012
    Dubs,

1) No, that's what you should be seeing - just one. CamStudio cannot see the 64-bit version at all.

2) You have to make certain your capture region is an even numbered width and height. Sometimes you have to purposely make the number odd by subtracting one from the desired width and height, with some systems (like mine!!) So, for instance, for 1280 X 720 pixels I have to set it to 1279 X 719 pixels to get rid of that message. I show that in the 2012 tech seminar video a bit later in the presentation.

Otherwise, it seems you have everything else going right! So, let me know how it goes!

Terry