This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Unable to save a Camstudio Video

edited August 2012 in Support
Hi

I recently tried to make a video with Camstudio. When I stop the video the video doesn't get saved. In the settings area it says that the videos are being saved to a user-specified area. I know where that area is. When I look there there is no video. I also tried the other 2 saving options and it still didn't work.

Other things are that I am using a portable Camstudio version from PortableApps.com.

Comments

• CamstudioLover,

So, in Options/Program Options/Name of AVI File, you have checked "Ask for Filename", and place the video where you want it, but it doesn't save? It may be going over the 2 GB file size limit and crashing CamStudio in that case. Try some shorter test videos, and perhaps switch your codec (compressor) to Jawor's Xvid.

http://jawormat.republika.pl/xvid.html

Be certain to get the 32-bit version. Xvid allows much more compact file sizes, and thus longer videos.

Terry
  • Terry,

In the savings options there are only 3 options for saving. Windows Temporary Directory, User Specified Directory, or Camstudios Program Directorys. I chose the user specified one and I chose the folder for it to be auto saved in but when I look there there is no video.

When I downloaded and tried Camstudio Portable on a different computer it works.

The saving areas for Camstudio have to be in one folder. Can't it be so you choose the location every time you are finished making a video?

CamstudioLover
  • CamstudioLover,

You do not have a selection under Options/Program Options/Name of AVI File? Perhaps that did not exist in the portable version you are using. Hmmmm....

Did you look in the program files/camstudio folder, or in the program folder on the stick? Usually it saves the automatically named videos in the temp folder, and you specified a location for that. It uses a time-stamp to do name it.

Terry
  • Terry,

As I said before I downloaded and installed the same program (Portable), same version and it worked on that computer.

CamstudioLover
  • CamstudioLover,

I have no idea -- I've never seen this one before, and naturally cannot replicate the error as it is apparently entirely machine-specific. If you discover what is causing this, please let me know!

Terry
  • edited August 2012
    Terry,

I will reinstall the program again to see if it will work this time as I think that there are some corrupted files in the program directory.

CamstudioLover