This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Help (v2.7 r316 Xvid) 3d models flicker, example provided

edited March 2013 in Support
Hello thank you for taking the time to help :)

I have been trying to create a youtube series on an older game called Freespace 2 (available at GOG.com)

This is the best recording I have been able to make:

problem: flicker on 3d models, and hud display.

camstudio: v2.7r316
xvid: v1.3.2 (according to "add remove programs")

Following is a list of settings i have changed:
*Fixed region*
*fixed top left corner: (check)
*left:0 top:0 width:1024 height:768
*drag corners (unchecked)
Record audio from mic, checked (works fine using stereo mixer)
Record thread priority: Highest
Capture translucent windows: unchecked
hide cursor: checked
record to AVI
*Video Options*
*Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
*key frames: 200
*capture frame every: 40 ms
*Playback 25 fps
*auto adjust (unchecked)
*lock capture (checked)
*Xvid settings*
**profile youtube HD 720
**maximum quality slider set to 1 (leftmost)
**quality preset: Realtime
**B-Vop (checked)
**display encoding status (unchecked)

I have tried bvop off, record priority normal
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• Well, you've tried all the things I suggested in my YouTube response already, except to try lowering the Set Keyframes Every setting to a lower setting, like 30 perhaps. Also, do keep Capture translucent windows checked - I believe that grabs the alpha channel if I'm not mistaken, which might be in use here.

I still have my thinking cap on - that flickering is quite strange. I thought of the keyframes in case that portion of the video is being interlaced, and thus is intermittently not in the capture stream when CamStudio grabs the key frame.

Terry
  • edited March 2013
    Thank you Terry. Problem is still unresolved, but my CamStudio "kung fu" is getting better every day, thanks in part to your YouTube videos :)
  • That's good to hear, but I'd like this to be resolved, as we'll learn something about how this happens to other programs.

Does a lossless codec, like CamStudio lossless, have this flickering?

Also, have you tried setting the keyframes to 1 or 0 (if zero is possible) - I still suspect it is grabbing an interlaced overlay and missing (grabbing in-between the overlay's display) at some random-seeming intervals.

Terry