This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Concatenating a group of avi files created in cam studio via Virtual Dub

edited May 2013 in Support
Hello. I am Blind and have made a group of AVIS. I would like to combine them into a single AVI with Virtual Dub. I activated the Direct Stream copy in both the Audio and Video options. I opened my first file then attempted to append the second file as a segment and got the following error message.

VirtualDub Error
Cannot append segment "C:\Users\prhunt1\Documents\Paul\Adaptivegraphic 475 Technology Trainer Certification training\Graduate
Workshops\Graduate Workshop Assignments\Outlook 2010 Rules

Presentation\avi files\file020.avi": The video streams are of different
sizes (268x36 vs. 352x40)
OK

How can I configure Cam Studio so that the video stream sizes always mmatch?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• I prefer to stay with commonly used video dimensions such as 640 x 480, 854 x 480, 1280 x 720, etc., assuming one is doing NTSC. Limiting the number of sizes to what might be considered “standard” means that you’ll have a greater chance of success when appending. Otherwise, the video must be re-processed at the correct dimension to append. 1024 x 768 is a common full screen capture, but it is not a video size and cannot be properly appended with “normal” videos, because when processed at any common ratio, it will not produce an image with square pixels. In those cases, the editor will be fooled into thinking that both files are the same size and will produce a video which plays until the append and then turns into a green or black screen. This is because the header info no longer matches the video. The solution is to make sure that all original material is captured (in this case) with the same exact dimensions as any other video to which it might be appended and that, if the codec allows for setting pixel dimensions, those dimensions be set at 1:1.

Ken
  • Hello Ken. Thanks so much for the response. I have been using the IntelIYUV Codec. How do I set the video dimensions to 1:1 with this Codec? What Codedc do you use and how do you set the dimensions?
  • The two best and easiest to use codecs are x264 and Xvid MPEG 4. I’m using Cam 2.0, and I’ve found that the handiest way to set the size of the area to be captured is to use the Region/Fixed Region option with the dimensions set to whatever “normal” size capture area you’re trying to do. If you set to 640 x 480 (for example) using the same audio, all such captures will be identical in every way and should append properly. Video which has been processed through a video editor, even though all dimensions, etc. seem the same, may not append properly, owing to the fact the editing program may alter pixel dimensions to construct two apparently identical images from different video sources.

Ken
  • prhunt1,

If you are trying to accomplish this with already recorded material, you may be able to get this to work by resizing and cropping the video takes to be the same standardized size. VirtualDub allows this in the "Filters" section in the video menu.

Terry