This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Camstudio recording question

edited April 2014 in General Discussion
Hey all,

I have a question i am using a laptop (running windows XP) and trying to use camstudio v2.7 with the lossless codec v1.5 to record a video from my desktop until now i am only getting a black screen in the recorded videos. i am not sure what i need to do in order to be able to record.

Any help would be much appriciated.

Have a Great Day
joe s

Comments

• I do not recommend using the lossless codec for anything other than archival captures. The time limit is too severe - I get a maximum of 9 minutes with audio at 1280p.

Try playing the video in Windows Media Player or any other media player. The built-in CamStudio media player is antique. Change your default player in Program Options to the system default and you'll be fine.
  • I only need them for 20 sec videos tops. I have tried windows media player VLC and the KMPlayer and all gave me the same results.... any other ideas ?
  • edited April 2014
    What size are you selecting for the videos? Are the width and height both even numbers? Some (many) players dislike odd-numbers for width and/or height.
    I use "Fixed Region" to adjust the size after using the "Select" button in that dialog.
  • I used the fixed region. i know that the recorders dont like wierd shapes when trying to screen record and that is why i try my hardest to use the set range of even numbers)
  • If you use x264 or MPEG-4, you’ll force Cam to flash an error code in the event that it is not getting even pixel dimensions from your processor. Lossless codecs are tolerant of odd dimensions, so they’ll just go ahead and record what will turn out to be unusable video.

Ken
  • Joe, you still haven't told me what dimensions you are using.

What Ken says above is totally true, btw!

Some certain sizes are simply anathema to certain players or to YouTube. I play it safe now and record everything in one of the following:

856x480 for 480p
    1280x720 for 720p HD
    1920x1080 for 1080p HD on my Quad-Core computer, which can handle pulling that many pixels. My dual-core computer cannot, and has to use 720p.

Terry