This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

How do I save the settings?

Hi

I've recently started using CamStudio version 2.6b release 294 - brilliant bit of software (I've even managed to get the Xvid codec working too).
However, try as I might, I can't get the settings to stick - even though the 'save on exit' option is ticket. Does anyone have any tips please? (Am running CamStudio as Administrator).
Thanks,

V

PS OS is Windows Vista

Comments

• Victor,

This is due to the security levels added to Vista that now also exist in Win7 and Win8. They don't allow settings to be written to the program directory as a normal user. To get that to work, you right-click on the program's icon and select "Run as an administrator" and it will then let you save your settings!

Let me know if you have any other issues arise.

Terry
  • Hi Terry

Many thanks for your reply although I was already running CS in admin mode. However, some further investigation shows that it will save the seettings as longs as I don't change the video options. If I do that, the next time I open the programme it has reset to all the original defaults. Any thoughts?

V
  • Victor,

Perhaps move or copy the program folder to outside the Program Files folder?

This sounds like a permissions issue - except for the incidence of it working SOMETIMES. Hopefully v2.7 - available any minute now - will fix this issue as well.

Terry
  • Terry

Many thanks. Tried moving the CS folder and files to my users area but the same problem persists. However, it is totally consistent (not 'sometimes') and only happens after I change the video settings (where my preference is the Xvid codec).

Don't know if this has a bearing on the problem but I've also noticed that when I first select 'video options', there is a slight pause and the 'Not responding' message comes up briefly at the top of the CS window. Then when I finish and exit the programme, although it disappears fm the screen and system tray, task manager reveals that recorder.exe is still running. I have to end the process there in order to get CS to open again. (None of this happens if I haven't tried to change the video settings).

Perhaps v2.7 will sort the whole issue?

V
  • Wow - I sure hope so! I wonder why that would keep the process open?

Anyway - hopefully this will become a moot point with 2.7...

Terry