This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

CamStudio 2.7 End-to-End Tutorial and Review videos

Here is a complete tutorial, from downloading through making the right settings to hitting the record button.

Let me know if I left anything out - I can add stuff through annotations or re-do the video at another time.

Also, I just uploaded a review and short tutorial to YouTube. Let me know if I left anything out that you need answered.

Terry

Comments

• I would like to say THANK YOU very much for taking the time to make this videos to help ME learn & others. I love all of your videos Best CamStudio Videos EVER!!!

:-D :-))
  • Thanks for that! Always room for improvement, of course. (like, I forgot to mention only to get 32-bit codecs in the tutorial... I'll add an annotation!)

Terry
  • edited February 2013
    Great job, Terry. Haven't been to the site in a while, was pleasantly surprised to see a new version out. Love the improvements, it's much, much more stable, at least from what I've been experiencing in the past.

Thanks for the great work you guys are doing.

On a side note, was watching one of your tutorials and I kept thinking, that island in the middle of a lake in your wallpaper, looks kinda familiar. Minutes pass. Might that be lake Bled? Went googling for some images and, indeed, it is lake Bled. Was such a random thing to happen, to see it in your video all of a sudden and almost missing it, since it's only about an hour away from where I live. Haven't been there in some time, though.

See ya.
  • Heh... Bing Desktop decided on that as pic of the day, that's all! :-)

An even odder coincidence, eh?!

Terry
  • Hi, thanks a lot for the great application. I am trying to record a tutorial of a colleague who has retired already...he is explaining some complicated calculations in Excel...
    I tried three recordings, two went bad as the mic setting of my laptop were wrong. It was set to focus on one voice only..so my silly questions were recorded, and his answers were not...
    I corrected this problem, now after 20 mins of precious recording, I got the error "could not save Avi, failed to save Avi or some such...
    Could you please advise some fail safe settings...codecs, whatever, audio quality settings..I use record from microphone, of course.
    The video quality is not essential. I just need to see the Excel cells and hear what he said...
    I am doing all this in free time..on my own laptop, I have no admin rights on my work computer, could not install anyghing on it.
    Would be grateful for advice, thanks. This is very important...this guy is not going to repeat his stuff ten times...thanks a lot
  • well, did you take a moment to actually watch either of the videos listed above? They answer all of your questions and give guidelines for achieving good recordings with compression that allows longer recordings. (You are limited to a 2-gigabyte file size, and that includes the audio... so better compression than Lossless provides is needed to record 20 minutes. Use Xvid or x.264)

Terry
  • I did, maybe I missed something. Also I had the previous version, 2.6
  • You probably missed the part about using Xvid I have in there. I get pretty long recordings (up to 3 hours) using that compressor and capturing frames every 100 ms with playback at 10. You needn't be as drastic to capture an hour - Xvid plus capturing frames every 40 with playback rate set to 25 should serve you just fine.

Terry
  • Hello folks, long time no post BUT still a user of the great Cam Studio! I am having a problem tho, so a quick question if I may....

Is there anywhere else to view the full length 40min Cam Studio 2.7 How-To Tutorial? I have been trying on boo-tube for over 2 weeks, 3-6 times a day, and just keep getting errors. The short one plays fine, just the long one....

And yes, I know all the setting tricks, update blah blah, different system, etc yada yada.....but no go. Every other video you have made Terry plays fine, just not the long one....with all the good info of course! LOL
  • edited July 2014
    That's extremely odd that YouTube won't play that video for you! Does it work with other long videos? Is your hard-drive almost full so it cannot cache it? Perhaps try clearing your cache or trying a different browser.

Crazy stuff! Good to hear from you again, though! :-)

Terry
  • Hey Terry,
    To answer your questions..

1. Yes, I just now got thru watching a 1 hour 48min doc on BooTube, no problems. Just tried yours again, error...

2. Over 70% free on the HDD, just did a "nuke & pave" this week...

3. I clean the cache every day on all systems

4. IE, Firefox, Chrome, and even the old iBook & Android tablet...wired, wireless,no go, it just will not play for me! LOL I even swapped out my router last night with my spare, different brand, different cables...no go

I guess I will keep at it tho, I would really like to see it! LOL

And Thanks for the welcome back, I'm glad I decided to check up on Cam after the last project. Thank You for all the hard work, it IS appreciated!

• Smurf,

Where does the video stop? (Or does it just not play at all?)

FOR YOU :-) I uploaded the video to my other site. It doesn't have the annotations, though. Those are done at YouTube.

http://screencasttutorial/CamStudio 2.7 How-To Tutorial.mp4

Terry
  • Two things to try when a video won’t play:

1. See if you can download and play frm your hard drive, using one of your own media players.

2. Open the page where the video is, then right click anyplace that isn’t a link and choose “view page info”. Copy and paste the various version links into a new browser window, until you get one that works. (This for Firefox).

Looks to me like the file version on this particular video requires Flash, and your Adobe Flash player might be getting forced away from port 80, which will get an error code.

Ken
  • edited December 2014
    Incredibly, the CamStudio 2.7 How-To Tutorial video just surpassed 500,000 (half a million!) views as of last week! That is simply amazing.

Terry
  • Version 2.7 problems
    Started using version 2.7 to avoid the hotkey bug (empty window you have to close after every command with the version 2.72). Unfortunately, 2 problems with 2.7.
    If always displays a window telling me I need to update. If I forget and do that, I'm back to version 2.72 with it's hotkey problem. If I close the update request window, 2.7 executes fine, but can't remember the folder I set for the output file, and I have to set it every time I save a file, or let it save to desktop-library-my videos.
  • I never, ever had a problem using 2.6, so do not fear going back in time. Even 2.0 works GREAT, though you'll need to install the 2008 C++ runtime libraries for that version. (2.5 onward use the 2010 libraries).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/files/stable/CamStudio_Setup_v2.6b_r294_(build_24Oct2010).exe/download
  • Now version 2.7 saves changes to the output directory. I have no idea why it didn't work before. It still asks me to update each time I execute it. I assume older versions would do that also, so I'll stick with 2.7. It's only one extra click when I execute to close the update request screen. That's a lot better than an extra click after each start, pause, or stop with 2.72. Otherwise, it's a great program. Since MS video 1 is adequate for me and records long enough without exceeding the size limit, I'll stick with that and not try to get xvid to work. Thanks for your help, and I'll start reviewing all the blog posts.
  • No, there was no update check on the older pre-2.7 versions. Mainly 2.7 had the detentes for the CFE and PBR settings so the sync would be maintained (as long as they multiply together to sum to 1000, the audio sync should hold.)

MS video 1 is awful unless at the highest setting! You will LOVE the file sizes with Xvid or X.264vfw, believe me! :-)

Terry
  • Ok, got xvid to work using your 10 min tutorial. Using version 2.7, just canceling request for update. Thanks.
    When I output avi file, it has sound, no video. When I convert to MP4 has both audio and video. But things that are round on the screen are oblong in the video. (Picture is too narrow.)

when I use MS video 1 codec, AVI video is playable audio and video, and things are round). Is there some setting I need to change?

I'm using Camstudio region1280 x 720. Samsung syncmaster monitor res set to 1920 x 1080 (recommended)
  • Sorry, my bad! The preview screen shows a black video. But the file itself plays normally. That might have been fixed in version 2.72?
    I just discovered my GOM player was set to a fixed 4:3 aspect ratio, not to "use aspect ratio of source video". That caused the video to be too narrow, but I fixed it.

I seem to have resolved all my problems (with your help). It only remains to re-record my latest video tutorial for 15 minutes or so, and see it there are any other problems. It was more than 2 GM with ms video 1.

Thanks again for all your help. Your 10 min video tutorial on setup (including xvid) was invaluable!!
  • Definitely set the player from the "internal viewer" to the system one.
    Glad you are having some good results! :-)

Terry