Due to continual spamming, forum registrations are now by Invitation Only. Hopefully this will be only a temporary measure to combat spammers.
If you want an invitation contact forumapplication @ camstudio . org
Sorry for the inconvenience.
"Use Default Compressor?" Error - Use Fixed Region for best results with Xvid, X264vfw and others
To avoid ever getting the dreaded "Use Default Compressor?" box, always use the Fixed Region choice to set up your capture area.
The standard sizes for YouTube are:
854x480 (480p) (Or 856x480 in certain situations... try if the other doesn't work right.)
1280x720 (720p HD)
1920x1080 (1080p HD)
You probably want to show the green corners (Change Options/Program Options/Show Flashing Window).
You can even select "Drag Corners to Pan" in the Fixed Region settings or turn on AutoPanning in the Options menu.
You want to use the fixed region to make videos that capture more of your screen. To do so, Follow these steps:
1) Select "Fixed Region"
2) Un-check the upper box for the "Fixed top left Corner" settings.
3) Hit the "Select" button and drag out the region you want to capture.
4) Adjust the numbers for width and height so they read 1280 width and 720 height.
5) Now check the upper "Fixed top left Corner" box so it will use the top/left settings you had used when you used the Select button. Adjust to suit.
6) Optionally check the box "Drag Corners to Pan" - which sometimes is a bit wonky!
Do a test recording -- this will play in 720p HD on YouTube now!
If you have a computer with enough power to capture 1080p, set the width to 1920 and the height to 1080 and you'll have 1080p HD for your YouTube uploads!
Three other settings YouTube likes (but are not HD sizes) are the following:
854 OR 856x480 (480p widescreen)