This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Problems and Suggestions/Hints

edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Hi, Camstudio is a great program but I have a few questions, problems, and suggestions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problems
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Codecs won't show in Video options after getting the "Error Recording AVI" message. Namely codecs such as the FFDShow (in the past I have had no problems, maybe it is the new version?)

2. Can't get rid of Shortcuts once assigned

3. Converted videos made with CamStudio come out distorted in color and/or pixelated
Suggestions
1. Video editor: The ability to trim clips and maybe add effects afterwards.
*I am using v2.5 that came with QuickMediaConverter (cocoonsoftware.com). After recording with Camstudio I have to edit in an external program and the ones I have won't accept the clips or mess them up, then I have to convert them (3 step process). So it would be nice not to have to go through three programs.

2. The region recording could do with a few things. It would be better to let you resize after you let go (with the corners, like resizing a picture). Also it automatically starts recording after you let go. It would be better to include a small button outside the record region or have a click-enabled starting of the recording.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hints-These are Very good setting for Camstudio if you want to give them a try :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Codec: Camstudio lossless v1.4 or FFDShow with Mpeg4(Encoder)/Xvid (FourCC) @ one pass quality 95 (FFDShow garners a more consistent FPS in my tests)

Format: AVI

Quality: 90-100

KeyFrames: 120

Capture Frames Every: 8 millisecond (match this with interleave audio)

Playback Rate: 125
-------
Audio: Stereomix (usually disabled by default, but can be found by going to "recording devices" under the sound icon, and enabling disabled devices by right-clicking)

Format: PCM @ 22.05 kHz, stereo, 16-bit

Interleave Every: 8 milliseconds

*I have tested these by recording a video already previously recorded and found that under these settings you can get around 30-35 fps depending on size of course.
Questions
1. Is this program still in development, because I haven't heard a lot about it lately?

2. Is it possible to include a format other that AVI and swf?