This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Slanted/split screen with camstudio codec help please

edited November 2009 in Support
the camstudio codec is the best, and plays back fine in player, but is slanted at 45 degree angle and the screen is split (mirrored) when viewing on youtube and vlc player. windows media 9 codec works for youtube, but quality is inferior to camstudio codec quality.

help or advice please? thanks

i'm running xp sp3

Comments

• edited November 2009
    VLC doesn't fully support the CS lossless codec, YouTube doesn't either. You could try re-encoding the video to FFV1 (it's included with ffdshow/ffmpeg) if you wanted to preserve as much quality as possible, it's lossless and both YouTube and VLC should fully support it. The file size should also be roughly the same as what you had with camstudio lossless (assuming you didn't use GZIP compression). If you're only gonna upload to YouTube, use yv12 and save yourself some file size as YouTube will convert the footage to yv12 regardless.
  • thanks for reply. yes youtube is end result...too bad cs codec is not compatible. is yv12 a video codec? not showing in list. tried all other codecs and windows 9 is the only one that's remotely passable quality.

another issue is unable to record from mic, which is weird since soundcard shows, mic/mixer configured like audacity, skype etc. which i use a lot. only get sound by selecting record from speakers.
  • yv12 is a colorspace, FFV1 is the codec. It's not included with Windows by default, you'd have to download and install ffdshow to get it along with a program like SUPER or VirtualDub to do the conversion.

Not sure why the mic wouldn't be working, you could try enabling the MCI setting in the audio options, but that will make your audio eat up a lot of disk space. You could also disable audio in CamStudio and use audacity to record the audio instead, then mux the video and audio together when you're finished.
  • for followers, you can set it to automatically encode in WM9 codec (by default, no conversion necessary), by setting it in Options -> Video Options.

Unfortunately when I try to set it to use yv12 within the same it gives me a "device handle invalid" (2.6r264), but WM9 isn't slanted at least.
    Thanks!
    -r
  • edited March 2011
    rogerdpack,

YouTube now supports the CamStudio Lossless codec, but especially if you are attempting to record more motion video, try the Lagarith Lossless codec (from the K-lite Mega Codec Pack - only install what you actually need from that pack!) Also install the h.264 encoder perhaps and convert to that using the free any video encoder.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_mega_codec_pack.htm

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

For YouTube it is helpful to size your videos to the standard sizes they use for wide-screen SD and HD

856X480 (SD) ==> NOT 854 <== -- 854 will skew at YouTube, but 856 works.

1280X720 (HD)

If you goofed and recorded at 854, load it into VirtualDub set to Video/Full Processing Mode, load the "resize" filter from Video/Filters, disable the auto aspect ratio, and change the 854 to 856. Then select your compression from Video/Compression (selecting CamStudio Lossless will reduce it even further in size!) and then File/Save as AVI using a different name. Your video will now upload to YouTube without skewing.

Terry
  • "Microsoft video 1" codec also for sure works (for your windows 7 users)
  • rogerdpack,

I'm really liking Xvid lately! Even at full quality, it records high-motion or slide-shows smoothly and with amazingly compact file sizes.

Microsoft Video 1 is perhaps the worst codec in the set of possibilities. It looks terrible at anything lower than highest quality in my opinion.

Another fairly good one is Huffyuv.

Terry