This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

AVI file

edited November 2009 in Support
I recorded a video of my screen for about 1.5 hours. The avi file is almost 5 gb. Obviously, I can't open the video. Whenever I try to convert it to mpeg, the video length shortens to 16 minutes. I'd like to convert it to a format that I can open in my VLC player. However, every time I do convert the file, it skips vital parts of the video. It should be the same length. Anyone know how to fix this? I believe the fps was set to the default 200fps and the codec was microsoft video

Comments

• Unfortunately you probably aren't going to have much luck with a video file that big. The fact that you were able to keep saving to it once it got that big surprises me. Is cam studio's player even able to play the file? Second, there is virtually no reason to record at 200 fps, and in fact your computer probably isn't actually recording that fast anyway because it can't keep up. To keep file sizes down try changing your setting to use something like 30 fps (the rate which tv uses) and limiting the region recorded to only the important stuff. If you can help it, don't record for that long into one file. Stop when possible and put the files back together later if you have to. This can help with audio / video sync issues as well as the massive file problem.
  • edited November 2009
    VLC can open AVI's using the MS1 codec, you don't need to convert the footage. The reason it's not working is because the AVI's index was broken when CamStudio saved it (this is due to the 2GiB limitation of VfW).

If you still have the original AVI, you *might* be able to fix it by opening it with VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org). I've been able to successfully fix AVIs like this (over 2GiB) with VirtualDub myself. Just as a warning though, it's going to take a LOOOOOONG time for virtualdub just to open it (especially processing 1.5 hours of footage recorded at 200 fps, that's close to a million frames), then another huge amount of time to split it into chunks smaller then 2GiB. Since you're original file was 5 GiB's you'll need at least an additional 5 or 6 GiB free as you'll be basically copying it, except into 4 or 5 smaller files that are roughly 1 to 1.5 GiB's in size. It took me around ~20 minutes total to save a 3 GiB file into three 1 GiB files (this was a 30 minute, 1680x1050 file recorded at 5 fps).
  • hi, friend, VLC supports wmv/mpeg/flv etc. if your VLC can't support avi. you can try this format after changing the original format.
  • @ brandished: I have a different problem (camstudio created avi files that no other program wants to work with, it freezes in premier etc) so thank you for that link. However, when i try to save the avi file again (hoping it will be usable by other programs) my 3 meg avi suddenly turns into a file of over 5 gigs! I tried different settings and compression but I just can't seem to get it down to a reasonable size. Any suggestions?
  • If you happenly want to convert vlc files, I strongly recommend you this powerful VLC converter. This best VLC converter supports many output video formats like avi, mp4, flv, wmv, mpeg, mkv, mov, dvd, vob, etc and audio formats like mp3, wma, wav, aac, etc.
    http://www.vlcconverter.com/index.html