This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Saving Customizing Keyboard Hotkeys

edited August 2010 in Support
I'm trying to change the existing default Hotkeys to a customized set. Although I have the "Save settings on exit" checked under "Program Options", I have been unsuccessful in getting the new default set to be saved. Every time I start C.S. I have to reset the Hotkeys to work the way I want.

I understand (???) how to reset them but why are they not being saved? All I'm trying to do is to make F1 = record, F2 = stop & F3 = cancel.

Am I missing some thing? How can I get the customixed Hotkeys to be saved?

Regards, Richard

Comments

• Hello, is anybody home out there?

Certainly some one knows the answer to this simple question. If you do, please reply.

Best regards, Richard
  • edited August 2010
    rckowal,

I'm sorry you've received no response, but apparently I am not the only one who is flummoxed by this one.

Hotkeys... hmmm... ummmm....

If you are talking about the keyboard shortcuts, there is a known issue with the older 2.0 settings dialog (that possibly still persists even with the newer 2.6 beta version), where you cannot save changes unless you input settings for all of the fields (Record/Pause, Stop, Cancel, Next Layout, Previous Layout, and Show/Hide Layout).

All fields must be assigned for your new settings to "take". I'll bet that is what you were asking about!

[From "Known Bugs and Limitations":

Keyboard Shortcuts

It is not currently possible to set just one keyboard shortcut to use with CamStudio. In order use the keyboard shortcuts, all of them must be set to different keys.

Source: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Screencasting_with_CamStudio ]

(Sorry, again ... I can be extremely slow to respond to synonyms for things, apparently!!!)

Terry
  • Thanks for the reply Terry,

Sorry to say that I've already tried setting all of the keyboard hot keys to (six) different "F" keys then clicking "save" - but it still doesn't save those settings when I shut Camstudio down. It does save the settings so long as I'm working with C.S. however, when I shut down the PC, those custom settings are gone & C.S. defaults to it's standard hot keys when I restart.

Best regards, Richard
  • edited August 2010
    rckowal,

I wonder if this is some Vista thing? Did you try right-clicking and selecting "run as administrator" if that is available?

Also, I did some experimenting with CamStudio 2.6 Beta, and found that if I saved the settings and later returned to the keyboard shortcuts settings window, it would throw an error message upon clicking "OK" even if I had changed nothing, reporting "Unable to set shortcuts for Stop Key" - even though it HAD saved the settings upon exit. It then returns the Stop key setting to "None", but will allow me to set it back upon exiting and re-loading the program. It then remembers that fine as long as I don't re-enter the keyboard settings dialog again. Odd behaviors!

I used CTRL-SHIFT-N for next layout, CTRL-SHIFT-P for previous layout, and CTRL-SHIFT-H for Show/Hide layout, if that is helpful.

If your system does not allow you to over-ride some default settings for F1, F2 or F3, that could perhaps introduce another issue into this mix. (F1 is the traditional key for bringing up help files, for instance.) My XP installation did allow me to use those keys happily for start, stop, and cancel however.

Terry
  • Terry,

I use XP Pro & Camstudio vs. 2 here. I just tried custom setting the hot keys again & this time it's saving the settings OK. I don't have a clue what (or if) I did some thing differently this time. All I did was what you suggested: assigned "F" keys for all six of the functions then clicked save.

Previously, I experienced some thing similar to this. I can't say for certain that it was exactly the same in all respects, but the error message definitely popped up.

"Also, I did some experimenting with CamStudio 2.6 Beta, and found that if I saved the settings and later returned to the keyboard shortcuts settings window, it would throw an error message upon clicking "OK" even if I had changed nothing, reporting "Unable to set shortcuts for Stop Key" - even though it HAD saved the settings upon exit. It then returns the Stop key setting to "None", but will allow me to set it back upon exiting and re-loading the program. It then remembers that fine as long as I don't re-enter the keyboard settings dialog again. Odd behaviors!"

Thanks again for the help. If I discover anything else, I'll post it here.

Best regards, Richard
  • edited August 2010
    Richard,

I've added this bug to the bugs list at Sourceforge. Thanks for getting me to mess with it (the keyboard shortcuts dialog) long enough to find this bug!

Terry