This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

SWF Blank White Page & Unable to Find Download for 2.6

edited September 2010 in Support
Hi there,

I just discovered this great programme but am disappointed to find that when I convert to SWF I get a blank white page. I have fiddled with the settings and tried different codecs but always the same blank white page. Looking for a solution on this forum someone suggested downloading version 2.6. Have spent ages trying different links from Google which promise 2.6 but when you select them you get offered something else. Is v.2.6 available? Is the blank white screen a known issue?

Thanks very much in advance for your time.

Deborah

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Deborah,

I do not know about the blank screen issue (but check the http://camstudio.org/faq.htm at the very bottom, where I found this:
    Is there a limit to the size of a SWF file ?

A Flash file has an inherent limit of 16000 frames (Macromedia Knowledge Base Technote 14437). For an AVI that needs more than 16000 frames, CamStudio will split the SWf into several parts, with the following naming convention :

basename.swf, basename_1.swf, basename_2.swf ...and so on.

If you enable the Chain Multiple SWFs setting in the Advanced tab of the conversion dialog, CamStudio will link the SWFs so that basename.swf will load basename_1.swf when it has finished playing, and basename_1.swf will load basename_2.swf when it has finished ... and so on.)

I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem, but it was the only thing there that seemed like it might...

However, the 2.6 beta (quirks and all) is available at the main site, http://camstudio.org

If you are using 2.0, there is a known quirk (from the main page above)
    Issues

A number of people have mentioned having trouble viewing SWF videos generated by CamStudio. It turns out there's a bug which means you can't see anything if you try watching them with Netscape or Firefox (Internet Explorer works fine) ...

The next update (2.6) will fix this but until then, here's a temporary workaround:

Open the related HTML to the SWF you've just generated and look for the line starting with the "EMBED SRC" command ...

Change the Width and Height values in this line to match values in the line starting with "OBJECT CLASSID".

Save the file and you should be good to go ...

The beta version does not have this issue.

Terry
  • Hi Terry,

Thanks so much for your reply.

It answered all my questions but, sadly, confirmed that Camstudio won't be any good for my purposes.

I downloaded 2.6 thanks to the link you sent. It seems to be the same as what I had and, curiously, in "help" it says version 2.0 but it is definitely what came in the 2.6 build version download.

I still get the same white screen issue when trying to view SWF's. The quote you found explains why:

A number of people have mentioned having trouble viewing SWF videos generated by CamStudio. It turns out there's a bug which means you can't see anything if you try watching them with Netscape or Firefox (Internet Explorer works fine) ...

In fact Google Chrome can be added to the list of browsers that the SWF's don't work in. It seems the only browser they do function with is Internet Explorer. So that's not much use to me as I wanted to use the SWF's on a website viewed in multiple browsers.

Thanks so much for your help. What a pity, such a nice product.

Deborah
  • Deborah

Is there any chance you could upload the HTML page and the related SWF file to a webserver and post the link so we can try to view it?

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • edited September 2010
    Deborah,

I cannot reproduce the blank page error in either Firefox nor Chrome when using the 2.6beta Producer. Could we have some more details, please?

Double-check that your original code was actually written-over. See if your code has the following issues:

Open the related HTML to the SWF you've just generated and look for the line starting with the "EMBED SRC" command ...

Check whether the Width and Height values in this line match the values in the line starting with "OBJECT CLASSID". They should be the same. If they are not, then you still are looking at the version 2.0-generated code, I'll bet!

Terry
  • Hi Terry and Nick,

Thanks very much for replying.

So, indeed Terry you were right, the Width and Height values were weird and I realised that I actually hadn't installed 2.6 over the 2.0 version.

So now I definitely have v.2.6 installed and hopefully that will eliminate the blank white page problem.

But now I have another problem and I feel like a real idiot......

I can't figure how to save a file in 2.6! I press the red button to start recording and the blue button to stop. The windows media player comes up and shows my recording, but where on earth is the save button? I've scoured the net for a nice tutorial on Camstudio 2.6 but there doesn't appear to be one yet. Please could you point me in the right direction, I would love to be able to use this software.

Thank you so much.

Deborah
  • OK, please ignore my last post, or the end bit at least. I figured out how to save SWF's. And it WORKS.

Thanks so much for your help.

Deborah
  • Hi Debroah

Glad you got it all working.

If you want to record to an AVI you can choose where to save the video file by selecting:

Options > Program Options > Name of AVI file > Ask for file name <= check this

Then after every recording has completed you can browse to where you want to save the AVI and give it your chosen filename.

HTH

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • Thank you!

Deborah
  • edited September 2010
    Deborah,

I am relieved that we have got this working for you at last!

But do be aware that we are still combating some bugs in this beta 2.6 version (the fixed-width dimensions are actually slighted by one pixel in width and height in the actual recording, so I've been encouraging folks to use the Region>>Window setting and the Sizer program to conveniently set window size, since that part isn't off by a pixel in the final result. http://www.brianapps.net/sizer/ )

That problem will be eliminated very soon, but I wanted you to be aware of it.

It is a beta version, of course, so please do let us know of any issues you do encounter, as that will be helpful towards the new final release.

I've been getting great results using the Region>>Window settings using several codecs.

Terry