This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

CamStudio doesn't record

edited September 2010 in Support
I tried CamStudio 2.0 and 2.6. On 2.0 I get the error message, "Error recording AVI file using current compressor. Use default compressor?" and if I click yes I get "Error creating AVI file." It seems to do this regardless of the codec I pick. My resolution is 480x480 so it's divisible by 2. I tried the registry fix and I get "cannot import (file name). Not all data was successfully written to the registry. some keys are open by the system or other processes." I even tried it in safe mode and got the same error. In CamStudio 2.6 when I click record absolutely nothing happens, all that happens is the record button is grayed out until I hit stop, nothing is recorded. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Service Pack 2 if that helps any. If their are any log files that this program produces I will gladly post them, just let me know where they are saved.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    someitalian123,

The record button is actually grayed out??? That's a new one for me. I'll check into it for you.

What are you trying to record? And why are you not using the CamStudio Lossless Codec? It works well in many situations if tutorials are what you are after. Full-motion and game recording is much more challenging - look for posts elsewhere on optimizing CamStudio to work for that application (smarty569 succeeded after we went through several tests and trials - look for his posts).

http://camstudio.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=490&page=1

Terry
  • I was just testing it out for now but I was planning to record a video from the comedy central website. I was using huffyuv because it's not very cpu demanding. I've tried a few codecs none of them work, I haven't tried CamStudio lossless codec yet. But yeah the button grays out until I hit stop and nothing other than that happens, not even an error message
  • someitalian123,

huffyuv is one of the least efficient codecs out there, so try DivX or Xvid or FFMPEG, which all require specific widths - 856X480 is good, as is 1280X720. Both are wide-screen. 640X480 is a good "squarish" alternative.

CamStudio Lossless will not work well for streaming videos unless they are tutorials, with very little change between frames. Your streaming viewing software is likely very, very resource-intensive (Flash is a resource hog!) and will be competing with CamStudio for resources and CPU power at all times. Try downloading the vids first using Realplayer's plugin or some other streaming capture plugin or utility.

Still don't know why you'd get greyed out buttons...

Terry
  • Well it doesn't matter what I use because camstudio doesn't record. Also DivX and Xvid are more cpu demanding than huffyuv, plus I want to use a lossless codec until I can do a two pass re encode.
  • someitalian123,

Go to Microsoft and download and run the MS C++ Runtime Library installer package:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

Terry
  • @someitalian123

To address the problem "Error recording AVI file using current compressor. Use default compressor?", try using odd numbers for width and height rather than even. There is a known problem in CamStudio that causes the "divisible by two" rule for certain codecs to be "divisible by two plus 1".

--Rob
  • someitalian123,

Didn't realize it was common practice to record a high quality lossless version before doing a re-encode.

A quick lookup at Wikipedia and yep, there it is ... every day's a school day, thanks!

Rob above is right, if you're using 2.6, you need to add 1 pixel to the height and width recording area settings to stop the error message.

If I use 1281x721 I can record in H.264 which I can have displayed in HD on YouTube.