This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

CamStudio not recording my screen?

edited November 2010 in Support
I'm sure this has to do with a screen overlay problem, but just to be sure, here's the problem:
CamStudio doesn't recording the correct part of my screen, if that makes sense.
Video showing whats wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6dkDrGp6Zk
Video showing what its supposed to record: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAW_pAupSg

As you see the screen isn't being recorded, just the loading screen, which shouldn't actually be there... :/

Thanks,
Smarty569

Comments

• Exactly! If software uses DirectX or something to access video memory directly, it won't be captured by BitBlt() function. The only suggestion is to try to disable video acceleration.
  • Okay whaaaaat? Can I get some step by step instructions or a dumbed down version please? I really don't try to learn all this in one day, only when I get a problem like this... But FSX does use DirectX so is that the problem or is it with camstudio?
  • It's possibly down to how FSX is rendered on the screen.

I'm guessing by your YouTube video you're using Windows 7?

In XP you would normally have to disable hardware acceleration in Windows to record activity like this ...

However, because Aero in Windows 7 requires complete access to the screen, you aren't able to disable hardware acceleration to record videos using the "overlay" method (i.e. videos in their own players, like Windows Mediaplayer, Quicktime, certain games etc.)

What you do is right-click Recorder.exe in the CamStudio installation folder in Program Files > Properties > Compatibility tab

Select:

Disable visual themes and
    Disable desktop composition

See if that will work.

Cheers

Nick :o)

P.S. Please consider donating to keep development alive. http://camstudio.org/donate
  • Alright, it seems like it will help because it change's my Aero theme to the default theme and FSX does that (yup, im using windows 7 :D), so im going to test it out real quick, and I would donate but im only a kid! :' ( Suck's huh?
  • Nope, still gives me the same screen...
  • edited November 2010
    Try version2.6R294.
    I tried a Planet Earth movie playing in kmplayer and WMP and CS version 2.6R294 was able to record them like magic on Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.
    Quit using version2.6R264/2.5b1/2.0. Those versions aren't compatible with Windows 7 fully.
    Also if you're recording directx games like Sims 2/Sims 3, set them to run in windowed mode.
  • Nope, I tried 2.6b 294 but it still give's me the screen in the first video. FSX ins a DirectX game but I have no clue how to run it in windowed mode and im trying not to because my screen is 1280x800 so if I record a 720p video it'll have the bars of the screen in it which isn't very pleasing in a video. Im not sure why nothing is working all of a sudden because my older videos were recorded with CamStudio...
  • Check your game's manual for instructions on how to run it in windowed mode. I tried recording The Sims 2 in windowed mode and it works fine.
  • Can someone explain me the reason to use CS to capture another video like "Planet Earth" when there are bunch of stuff out there to "steal" video? :-) CS is the wrong tool for that.
  • I dunno, just use a DVR or a tv tuner and save the video, export it to movie maker, cut out the commercials and just save it as a video I guess.... I have looked yet I have not found out how to run fsx in windowed mode, ill keep searching but I still wish CamStudio would work in full screen. I have no clue why it just stopped working all of a sudden :/
  • There must be a special software for video capturing from tv tuner and alike.
  • edited December 2010
    Planet Earth recording is just a proof that CS can record a DVD playing in kmplayer/wmplayer.
    Like I said, game/DVD recording works in the latest build.
    Playing vids recording worked in the latest builds, probably.
    If you're using the latest build and the DVD/vid can't be recorded, try kmplayer as a media player. I have a success with that.
    Note all of these are tested on Windows 7 can't confirm it will work on XP/Vista!
    Update...DVD recording works until now...tested even with the movie playing in the background!
    So to sum up...CS can record games/DVDs/playing vids in most circumstances acording to tests.
  • I guess im the only one with this problem then...
  • Yep you might be the only one...it works for me...
  • What? Recording FSX in full screen? It used to work for me, but now nothing records it in full screen, and it crashes in windowed mode.. :'(
  • Reinstall FSX. Else, reinstall Windows. Most problems always go away after a clean install of Windows.