This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

video not playing

edited February 2011 in Support
i recorded a video with cam studio and saved it , the video was about 45minutes and in total about 2gb , when i was about to play the video it refused to open all players vlc, mpc , windows media player , divx , quicktime non of them played it , they all brought out the same warning that the codec had a problem , please is there a way to solve errors like this ?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    sigo1,

So... if the codec was a problem, what codec were you using?

Try CamStudio Lossless (slides) or Lagarith Lossless (motion). Or Microsoft Video One even (yuck!)

Also, read the section, "Some Codec-specific observations" here:

http://screencasttutorial.org/02/optimizing-your-pc-for-camstudio-12

Terry
  • i used lossless
  • is there somethin i can do to enable me watch the video ?
  • edited February 2011
    sigo1,

Try converting from the lossless codec to h.264, perhaps, using the free any video converter.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Hopefully that will resolve your problem. Also, VirtualDub has been known to repair even AVI videos that went over the 2 GB size limit specification.

Read about that here:

http://camstudio.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=571

Terry
  • edited February 2011
    Hi Terry i tried the videodub and its kind of working because know i can see my video however it takes a lot of time to do its work (i am not complaining by the way lol) . I have some questions i would like to ask about the virtualdub (since i am a newbie with this lol):

1.the audio isn't necessary in my video is there a way to "cut off" the audio on videodub so that only the video is in it?

2. My video is 2GB but when i used virtualdub (which i had to stop because i wanted to know if the audio could be taken out ) the video became 45GB all of a sudden , is this because i used the full processing instead of direct stream copy ?

3.one more thing i noticed when it got to the end of my video , i clicked on file and "save as avi" then it started playing again while it was saving is this right ?
  • Sigo1, regarding your questions 2 and 3: is it possible that you missed a step -- perhaps didn't set the video parameter to Direct Stream Copy instead of Full Processing -- before having VirtualDub begin processing your file (a copy of your original file, I hope) as quoted below:

"Once VirtualDub is installed, open it and click on the File menu and select "Open video file." Assuming it's a CamStudio AVI file that's bigger than 2GB, go to the CamStudio program folder (I'm assuming you're using the 2.0 version that puts all the captures into the program directory/folder) and select the file you want VirtualDub to "operate" on.

Sometime before you start VirtualDub to work on your file (you might want to make a copy of your file before opening it in VirtualDub just in case something goes wrong) you'll need to make a couple of changes to VirtualDub settings.

In the "Video" dropdown menu select Direct stream copy (the default is Full processing mode). On the Audio menu Direct stream copy should already be selected since it's the default. On the "View" menu I like to check "Input video pane" and "Output video pane," although it's really not necessary. I do it so I can see that it's the file I meant to use. I also check "Show status window" although that too probably isn't necessary.

When everything's set and you're ready, just click on "Save as AVI" or use F7. Before it actually starts to work, VirtualDub will ask you to name the file it will create. Whatever works for you, but being essentially lazy, since the input file's name and location is already there, I generally just put "VirtualDub" or some abbreviation of it as a prefix to the existing file name."
  • Sigo1,

I'm not a VirtualDub expert, so I've never tried to strip out the audio track with it. I'll bet it is possible, though! Did you check the audio drop-down menu for clues?

Audio is a huge contributor to file size, so if you do not need it, be certain that you are not recording it by selecting "Do Not Record Audio" in Camstudio's Options.

I know one person got around the AVI 2GB limit by recording the audio separately in Audacity and somehow combined the results later, but I don't know the details of his workflow.

I was very surprised to see the expansion of your 2GB size to 45GB - I suspect booklover was right in observing that full-processing mode was on at the time.

booklover - thanks as always for the input!

Terry