This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

CamStudio Lossless Codec: 854X480 produces skewed video at YouTube -- 856X480 works OK

edited March 2011 in Support
I just discovered that 854X480 regions will produce a skewed video in YouTube when using the CamStudio Lossless Codec. This surprised me, as this is one size often suggested at forums.

856X480 works just fine with the CamStudio Lossless Codec (also suggested at other forums -- both are mentioned at YouTube! Some argument concerning square vs round pixels, I believe...)

So, if you are going for a smaller wide-screen video because your machine is not powerful enough to get good results at 1280X720 (HD) or for other reasons, then keep this in mind.

856X480 is the number to burn into your brain if you are using the CamStudio Lossless Codec!

If you goofed and recorded at 854, load it into VirtualDub set to Video/Full Processing Mode, load the "resize" filter from Video/Filters, disable the auto aspect ratio, and change the 854 to 856. Then select your compression from Video/Compression (selecting CamStudio Lossless will reduce it even further in size!) and then File/Save as AVI using a different name. Your video will now upload to YouTube without skewing.

Terry

Comments

• edited March 2011
    It seems like, suddenly, because you told me that 960 is the proper 16*60 bitrate. Now that I've entered 960, ffdshow will now skew it, and won't let me unskew it anymore. (Unless I do the 856 fix above) Thanks buddy.
  • edited March 2011
    coldReactive,

That's great that the VirtualDub trick helped you out. I discovered it through sheer desperation myself.

I'm afraid you misunderstood me. I never told you to use 16/60, nor intended you to induce that I meant the correct bit rate would thereby be 960 (I was only referring to the fact that 16*60=960, 40 shy of the necessary 1000) - did you watch my video? Use settings that multiply to 1000 and you will not have audio sync problems. 1000 is the base. (Why are you so hooked on using 16 and 60? It will always mess up your audio sync - you cannot get around it with settings in ffdshow, or at least I am doubtful you can.) Please try these settings, and I think you will experience some happiness in the audio sync department.

From my article: http://screencasttutorial.org/18/best-settings-for-camstudio-to-sync-audio-and-video-28/2

Since CamStudio does not allow for decimal settings in its setting of “Capture Frames Every”, another factor necessary to consider to stay in sync is the relationship of the “Capture Frames Every” setting to that of “Playback Rate” The two, when multiplied, must result in an even number of 1000 (1000 milliseconds, or one second).
    (In speculation, this may be because audio uses an H:M:S:mS framework while video uses an H:M:S:F (F for “Frames”) timing system.)

This limits the available “Capture Frames Every” (CFE) and “Playback Rate” (PBR) settings to the following:

CFE PBR

1000 1
    500 2
    250 4
    200 5
    100 10 *
    50 20 *
    40 25 *
    25 40 *
    20 50 *
    10 100
    5 200
    4 250
    2 500
    1 1000

( * marks those which are perhaps most practical.)
    (Note: The first two are time-lapse settings, the first one capturing every second, the second one capturing every half-second.)

Since the typical ACTUAL possible frame capture rate is usually around 10 to 20 fps, one would think that setting to CFE 100/PBR 10 would be the best (and it might be!) But you can push your machine to perform a little harder by setting higher figures here in the Playback Rate, say like CFE 25/PBR 40 or even higher (20/50, 10/100, etc.). Experiment here! The key issue is how the math is performed … since trying for a Playback Rate of 30 fps allows for only a non-fractional setting of 33 in the CFE, you wind up with a multiplication result of 990, which would guarantee a lag would be introduced over time that would get worse and worse.

Terry
  • Hello!,
    I experience the same problem "skewed video" when recording at size 1280x720 and playing using VLC player, but runs OK with Windows Media Player.
    Anybody knows a workaround to get rid of this problem and make sure any user of VLC player can see the video?.
    Best regards,
    Blas.
  • edited April 2011
    blasmolero,

Specifically which revision number of CamStudio were you using? I create 1270X720 every day. However, the "fixed region" mode on r264 had a problem being one pixel over in its actual resulting video (so it made 1281 out of 1280). You have to specify 1279X719 for it to work right, if I recall. I'm pretty sure this was fixed in r294.

I avoid this by using the "Window" region setting, and use "Sizer" to size my window to 1280X720, then select that window after I start recording. It works flawlessly, but then, I am recording program and browser windows.

See this video for installing Zoomit, Sizer and VirtualDub:

and the following one here for a trick enabling you to save Sizer setups:

Terry

AWESOME - just noticed the new forum allows me to embed videos!!! Cool as hell!!! :-)
  • Dear Terry,
    I run CamStudio V2.6 r294 running on Windows Vista x64.
    Best regards,
    Blas.
  • edited April 2011
    Here you are the video:

By the way, how you do to embed the VIDEO???

[moderator edited the Belgian version of the YouTube link above so that it will appear embedded correctly in the forum]

• Also, I have resized (using SIZER utility) to 1279 x 719 and the blinking persist, not progress.
    Best regards,
    Blas.
  • edited April 2011
    blasmolero,

I found that 1279X719 setting to be only necessary in the Fixed Region settings, and I thought that bug had been fixed by r294. I do not need to change the "Sizer" settings to one less pixel as above, as the "Window region" arrangement seems to work flawlessly for me in r294. So set Sizer to simply be 1280X720. But as you said, the problem persists either way. (Thanks for making the video, by the way!) What codec/video compression are you using? This is strange.

OH WAIT!!! DUH!! I just re-read your post... and it didn't "click" for some reason. The issue with VLC Player is actually infamous, and seems to be an issue with VLC player itself, as all other media players :"play nice" with CamStudio produced vids. I think one person wrote that they could upload videos to Youtube and download the MP4 they made, and that those would play alright, but I don't remember where I saw that post (or even if it was made here....) Sorry I missed that point. Let me look around some more about this.

Here is a Google Search of our site for where "VLC" is mentioned (our forum search won't search for terms shorter than 5 characters, it seems...)

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:http://camstudio.org/forum/+vlc

As you can see, this has been an ongoing problem that obviously hasn't been fixed yet.

As to your video not appearing... Maybe only moderators can embed videos... I don't know. I'll ask Nick.

Terry
  • Dear Terry,
    Yes, it´s a pity. I use CamStudio Lossless Codec V1.5 with 30/50/20.
    If I set in CamStudio the codec Xvid MPEG-4 then VLC player runs OK, I am able to see the video with success, but the quality is not as good as the CS Lossless Codec 1.5 that is perfect.
    Best regards,
    Blas.
  • blasmolero,

Have you tried using something like "anyvideoconverter" to convert it from the CamStudio Lossless Codec to an MP4 product? I wonder if that would work?
    http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Terry
  • Dear Terry,
    Yes, this is the workaround I use, and run OK, but this is another task to add to the job, I should like to have all done directly from Camstudio Lossless Codec V1.5.
    Best regards,
    Blas.
  • Blas,

Well, I checked over at VLC and they don't seem to be highly active about fixing the issue (which is in their program, not in the CamStudio Lossless Codec, a fact that they do acknowledge.) I hope they fix it soon, because many people do like the VLC player. Why is it so popular?

One thing interesting about VLC is that they try to include all codecs within the program itself, rather than derive them from elsewhere. This would seem to interfere with taking advantage of updated codecs, I would think, as it seems to ignore the freshly installed versions, using only its own built-in versions. I find that to be a strange way of doing things, but I do not think codecs are a stable frontier yet anyway. The quite popular ffdshow is missing "hooks" that allow our program to even find it via the standard libraries that CamStudio employs for such things. Crazy stuff!

Terry
  • edited April 2011
    Blas,

I think I figured out why your YouTube video did not embed - it used the Belgian URL (youtu.be) rather than youtube.com, so the forum software didn't recognize it.

(Of course YouTube could not resist taking advantage of your country's domain suffix!)

I'll edit your link so it appears inside the post now.

[Edit] Ok, it works now - it needed the "watch?v=" portion added and the www.youtube.com URL.

Terry
  • Dear Terry,
    Please note that not only VLC do not play the Camstudio videos created using Lossless Codec V1.5 but also YOUTUBE: the deffect is different, in YouTube the video is SKEWED, and with VLC the video is blinking.

Then not only VLC complaints with "marvellous" Camstudio Lossless codec V1.5 but also Youtube ... what a pity, they dont't know what they miss!!.

Best regards,
    Blas.
  • edited April 2011
    Blas,

Well, they at VLC are the ones who said it was a problem with their player, not me.

See the first post in this thread concerning the skewing of YouTube for that size, of course, but I upload videos to YouTube all the time at 1280X720 with no skewing at all...! So, I'm not certain what is going on here. (My clients also prefer the 1280X720 HD size, so all of theirs are also working... on their YouTube channels! All done with the CamStudio Lossless Codec.)

Examples at 856X480 includes most of the videos in the CamStudio tutorial series I just uploaded.

All of mine are done using "Sizer" settings, using Region==>Window in CamStudio. I ALWAYS use CamStudio Lossless Codec.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tbritton33#grid/user/A57A11C0D77BBF9B

Examples at 1280X720 includes most of my Photoshop tutorials at my channel,
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tbritton33?feature=mhsn#g/u

Like this one:

as well as the Google Adwords series:

and the Clickbank tutorial

So, please make certain you are using a 1280X720 window in sizer, and that the Region setting is actually set to "Window" (I suspect that you may be set to Region==>Fixed Region, perhaps. Please take a look and check this for me!) Also, be certain that the CamStudio Lossless Codec settings are set to use the upper setting (LZO, not Gzip).

I hope we can get this working for you, as you are correct that CamStudio Lossless makes very clear videos AND very small files as well.

Terry
  • Dear Terry,
    Yes, I have done all what you says, but the problem persist. I don't know what more to do ...
    Best regards,
    Blas.
  • Dear Terry,
    After a few tests, finally I realized where is the reason of the error of having skewed videos in Youtube created using CamStudio Lossless Codec V1.5:
    • If you set in SIZER utility a size of 1280x720 + Region=Window, the video really will have a size of 1281x721, and if you upload the vid to YouTube you will really see a size of 1281x721 in the details of the vid.
    • What is more, if you ask for properties in the Windows Explorer for the *.AVI file, you will see a size of 1281x721 as well.
    • The workaround: set in SIZER a size of 1279x719, assign this size to the window you want to record using CamStudio, and select Region=window. Not matter you see in CamStudio recording display a size = 1279x719, reaaly you are recording at size 1280x720, and both Windows Explorer and YouTube will recognize that size for sure!!.

Here you are the video explaining things with my bad english, sorry! (I learned how to embed the video with success!!):

Best regards,
    Blas.
    PD
    I run CamStudio v2.6 r294 on Windows Vista x64
  • Blas,

I really thought this one-pixel-over problem had been solved when they moved from version 2.5 to 2.6 (which was a fix that broke the fixed region setting in 2.6 r264, if I remember correctly... on the other hand, let's forget about my memory today -- it doesn't seem to be working very well!)

I'd better do a bunch of test videos to determine which versions have these problems and which do not. I may have recorded those videos above using r272, come to think about it (considering their dates). I know I did the oldest ones with 2.5, adjusting as you did to compensate for the pixel miscalculation.

Thank you for the video. I am glad you figured out how to embed them!

By the way, Nick wrote to the software developers that wrote the "Vanilla" forum software we use with the suggestion that they add a bit of code so you can use the youtu.be domain and still have embeds work correctly.

I'll post some more info as my detective work continues.

Terry