This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

WaveoutGetSelectControl() issue Win7 64

edited March 2011 in Support
Hi has anyone gotten CamStudio to work on a Windows 7 64-bit machine? Dunno if that makes a difference; but, it's the only thing left I can think of. Still no luck after trying the "What U Hear" for recording source (I have no "Stereo Mix" choice).

Anyone know what the WMCapture guys use for default? Whatever source they use seems to work out of the box so maybe they handle audio some other way? Might be worth a look.

Comments

• I have a W7 Pro x64 machine (a Toshiba Satellite - Realtek audio) that for video captures with sound I use the record from speakers setting. Yes, it gives me an error message, but it works despite the message.

The stereo mix will work too, but I believe I remember that some said that choice was there but hidden. I didn't note that post and don't remember how they made it display. Sorry.

I did finally get the W7 x64 machine to work on the stereo mix, but I decided that although the "record from speaker" choice produced an error message, it still worked and was easy for me to set (the site where I capture doesn't always have sound so I don't leave it turned on). So that's what I use. So far, so good.

Jo
  • edited March 2011
    USP45 and booklover,

Did you get a chance to watch my video on getting Stereo Mix to work correctly (with mic AND speakers captured) on a Windows 7 64-bit machine?

http://camstudio.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=620

I also have this as a full post at my website: http://screencasttutorial.org/27/record-microphone-and-speakers-via-stereo-mix-into-camstudio-in-windows-7-with-gain-staging-395

Let me know if it helps (or not!)

Terry
  • Hey nice vid!

Still no go for me though. The only other thing I have to add (hopefully it's helpful) is that my audio is Creative SB X-Fi. PCI Bus 2, Device 4, Function 0.
  • USP45,

And you were using the "Record Audio from Microphone" setting, NOT the "Record Audio from Speakers" option?

If so, please do get up with me if you get it to work (and if you record a video of getting it to work, add it as a video comment to mine and I'll feature it in my video so people with the Creative SP X-fi can get this to work.)

Terry
  • Success! It's possible a simple update of the audio drivers did the trick.

The only comment to add to that is that the Creative install will prompt for installation of a lot of stuff including things like ALchemy and WaveStudio. I'm not sure if they're actually necessary or not but I accepted and installed all of them in just in case.
  • USP45,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write an update - I worry when things I tell people to do don't work!

One cannot help but wonder whether the "bare bones" installations would leave out items many would consider essential, eh? If you ever do nail down what particular item it was (or if it was merely the updated drivers all by themselves) please do let me know.

Happy recording!

Terry
  • I've got a different version of this problem I'm hoping somebody can help me with...

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, too, and I get that same Waveout error. And after following the other (now closed) thread on this topic, I had no success finding any option for "stereo mix" or "listen to this device". What I have found, though, is that if I choose to "Record through microphone", then CamStudio will actually record from my speakers. The problem is, that sound is low quality - a sort of base echo or hollow sound undermines the recording throughout. I've tried increasing the audio record rate to 44khz, but that's made no difference. Any thoughts on all this?

Rob
  • rob25,

Do not use the "Record from Speakers" option - there is a better way on Windows 7 simply using Stereo Mix, so that this old XP sound system exploit is no longer needed.

Mainly, you make Stereo Mix into the default recording source device (in the "Recording" tab), then BE CERTAIN to set "Speakers" as the default playback device (not "Headphones") in the Playback tab.

Watch this video to see how (plus the bonus of mixing your microphone into the sound also!)

This is part of a series of how-to videos I put together into a playlist you can check-out here:

Let me know how you fare!

Terry
  • Thanks, Terry. Yeah, I'd already read through your instructions on this and got stumped... I stopped this video a few minutes in, too, because even when I "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" the "Stereo Mix" option never appears. That seems to be the sticking point...
  • edited April 2011
    rob25,

Is your computer a Dell? They disabled Stereo Mix on several (if not all) models (some think to comply with record industry requests...) There are some instructions around the web on this and how to re-enable the Stereo Mix capabilities - search YouTube for the keywords "dell stereo mix" and around the web as well. Let me know what you come up with!

Terry
  • Well, that was a bit of a saga! I don't have a dell, but by searching on that, I found people attempting to find and activate stereo mix with different procedures for various different sound cards. Many suggested first downloading the latest drivers. I've been doing that using Windows update procedures, and was always told I always had the latest drivers. So I decided not to trust Windows. (duuuh!)

First, I found the name of my sound card. In Windows it was coming up under a generic name "High definition audio device", but when I called tech support for my computer's manufacturer, it turned out to be a VIA VT1708s (I'm putting these details in so other people with the same problem may find this thread when searching).

I then went to VIA's website to download the latest sound card driver, but it warned me that often motherboard manufacturers re-design these drivers for their own purposes. So I went directly to my motherboard manufacturer, the ASUS website, found that soundcard under their "Audio" downloads, and installed that driver.

It also came with software that allows me to interface directly with the sound card and set a bunch of settings that Windows 7 was not allowing me to see. But without doing anything there, "Stereo mix" was at last now appearing as an option under Mixer > Recording Devices. I made Stereo Mix the default, and though I do still get a "Waveout" error, CamStudio is recording my speakers splendidly. Thanks for the support and encouragement, Terry!

• rob25,

You should not get that "Waveout" error if you are using the "Record from Microphone" settings, but if you are... that is unexpected!!! :-)

Was the video helpful to you?

I'm glad you found the fix for the VIA chip set - I'll keep that in mind if I encounter this one again. Glad you posted with those keywords for searchers down the road.

Terry
  • I didn't know I could also record the speakers by choosing the record thru microphone settings after this change, but right you are. And yes, no error message on that one.

The video is great, but at this point I don't need that secondary level because I'm importing my camstudio videos into sony vegas pro and then adding layers of vocals there. Easier to correct mistakes that way! :-)

I will check out your other videos -- have bookmarked them, thanks.

Rob