This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

need help/suggestions

edited July 2011 in Support
i recently downloaded 2.6b r294 and im using xp pro i think the idea of a free screen capture program is awesome. however recently ive recorded some videos and they are under the 2 gig size.i have those ~temp.avi files but they arent "final" files apparently and was wondering if it is possible to make them into viewable files or should i just toss them? ive tried the last 2 weeks to download avi fixers and codecs but no program wants to open them up and im annoyed at this point. i either get error messages saying they arent avi files or they are corrupted. any insight would be awesome!

Comments

• Bill,

See this: http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/comment/2848#Comment_2848

In this thread, Mike Wallace and I discussed at length our experiments trying to get over 90 minutes. Finally Xvid was the answer, but meanwhile we discovered ways to make VirtualDub repair the temp files.

See if you can make that work.

Terry
  • i tried vdub but it didnt do anything ill try the xvid though
  • Bill,

Did you try the settings I discuss in that post? What didn't work?

Terry
  • well i tried to open the temp vids in vdub but they didnt want to open but ill look at the post
  • edited July 2011
    when i try to open the files in vdub it says the file is a unknown or unsupported file type and im not too sure what to do with the whole xvid thing lol
  • edited July 2011
    You might try VirtualDub (also free -- available lots of places on the web). Suggest you work from a copy. My suggestion would be to rename the temp file and then run it through VirtualDub using the video setting as "Direct Stream Copy," not the default Full Processing. Audio defaults to Direct Stream Copy so will not need changing.

If VirtualDub isn't able to help make a usable file, you're still no worse off than you were, and someone else may be able to help. I've often wished I had known about it when I first created an AVI file that was too big and just deleted it. VirtualDub has rescued some files for me that I would not have thought possible. Of course it doesn't work every time, but I figure it's worth a try, especially on a copy.

Good luck!

Jo

Edited Sat morning - I drafted this but forgot to post it until now. Sorry. I read that you've tried VirtualDub but it might be worth another try -- nothing to lose but some time. Soirry about the delay in posting.
  • edited July 2011
    ill definitely try it...i put vdub on direct stream copy but it still says "the file is of an unknown or unsupported file type" vdub doesnt want to open the file at all
  • Did you rename it? What extension did you give it? Rename it something like badfile.avi. Be sure it's named avi as it would have been if it hadn't cratered. The only reason I still hold out hope for the file is that once fairly recently -- still am not sure what caused it -- I ended up with two .wav files -- one obviously the audio file and one the video file. I believe I remember renaming the video file to whatever.avi, or I might have just left it -- can't remember -- as a wav file just to see what VirtualDub would do with it. Everytime I've used VirtDub I've been amazed at what it can sort out.

It may not work, but my feeling is that it's worth a try -- you'll be no worse off than you are now, especially if you're working from a copy.

I don't remember if you said how big the file is.

Jo
  • yea i renamed it a and it is under a gig
  • edited July 2011
    bill,

I just re-read the original post, and I am frankly mystified as to why you need to open temp files at all. What happened to the finished video (under 2GB, so legal size) that you recorded when you hit the "Stop" button? Did a request come up asking you where to save the file? (This feature has to be enabled under "Options|Program Options|Name of AVI File|Ask for File Name" - otherwise it names it with a timestamp automatically and just as automatically saves it into your "Program Files(x86)\CamStudio" folder.

Terry
  • edited July 2011
    well i wanted to watch them and they didnt convert to full files unfortunately so i was trying to see if there was a way i could view them and at the time i didnt save the files to a specific directory they saved to the original folder aka the temp folder
  • bill,

Oh, ok - I was just a little curious, wondering whether perhaps the completed videos were actually sitting in your program files(x86)\camstudio folder all this time!

I will make a video on converting temp files in VirtualDub as soon as I'm out from under this crunch I'm in this week and upload it to YouTube. Sorry this is causing you so much grief!

Terry
  • it is cool no worries
  • bill,

(heh - third time I've entered this post tonight!)

I've had luck using VirtualDub on the oversized temp avi files, but when you open a video, you must have the checkbox in the lower left corner checked ("Ask for extended options after this dialog") to enable advanced processing capabilities.

Terry
  • i checked it but still got the error "the file is a unknown or unsupported file type"
  • bill,

Too bad. I don't know what caused this particular video to fail initially, so I can only imagine it had to do with program termination or something crashing interrupting the stream, perhaps, so it got corrupted. Fortunately, this is the exception and not the rule.

Terry
  • yea weird
  • edited January 2012
    Nice thing this utility is. one should give a chance this to show its capabilities. i m using this and now this is more featured with some more plugins . i m very happy and cool with this Virtualdub. there is no any matter of crashing till now and no any kind of video deletion it perform. it is completely reliable. there are so many features of this..
  • Only get your copy of VirtualDub from the original source. http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

Terry
  • If you use the "Ask for extended options after this dialog" checkbox when opening a rogue temp file that didn't save correctly, use the topmost box (Re-derive Keyframe Flags) or the next one (Open in AVIFile compatibility mode) or both.

Terry