This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Saving as a simple format for separate re-conversion

edited September 2011 in Support
If I'm capturing a video I want to do it in high quality for the master, so I can play with different versions for web/DVD/etc without having to re-do the video.

I don't seem to see such a compressor option... something which is high quality and easily opened by other tools. I've got "Microsoft Video 1" but nothing seems able to open videos saved in this format! Presumably though my system can PLAY many video types, the encoder and decoder don't both get installed typically so I need to find specific encoders?

At the moment the situation is I risk spending a lot of time capturing a lovely video, then nothing except CamStudio's own player can show it... how is that by the way, do you have your own special codec?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    jdx256,

The easiest way to get videos into pretty much any high-end video editing suite is to load it into VirtualDub and then export it as RAW format (warning - huge files!)

Many new editors are accepting MP4 h.264 encoded videos, but not all. A converter like MediaCoder FLV edition will batch-encode a folder (change the drop-down to MP4 and be certain to make the MP4 settings be baseline for Windows Media Player to see them).

Windows Media Player certainly CAN play Microsoft Video 1 encoded files, but MSV1 sucks, so use anything else! Google Jawor's Xvid and use the 32 bit version of that for nicely compressed vids that you can then save as RAW for your editor as described above or convert to to WMV using something like Any Video Converter for use in Windows Movie Maker.

Watch the videos I made in the playlist mentioned up top there (or the 2-hour webinar) to see what the best settings would be for many applications. Xvid is best for game recordings, but also excels at capturing webinars and tutorials.

Terry
  • It's so frustrating that in 2011 it's still a nightmare to do something as common as take a video :(

My problem seems to be I don't have a decent (working) encoder codec. CAM refuses to record using "DivX 6.9.2 Codec (4 Logical CPUs)" and if I record using MSV1, then VirtualDub won't convert to that format (recording 400x400x32bit).

I'll look up the Xvid one you mention. Also, are there any encoders which will spit out FLV files directly?
  • edited September 2011
    Well - XVid is definitely so much better, it actually recorded without bitching and gave a small file size. The only weird thing is when playing back the video in CAM's own player, it just shows as black - but the saved file itself plays fine in Media Player, VirtualDub, etc.

One follow-up; VirtualDub isn't specifically listing "RAW" as an option - is that the same as "Uncompressed RGB/YCbCr"?
  • jdx256,

Yes, I believe "Uncompressed" is what VirtualDub calls RAW files.

Glad Xvid is working well for you. I've used MediaCoder FLV edition both to create FLV files and to create h.264 files.
    http://www.mediacoderhq.com/mirrors.htm?file=MediaCoder-FLV-VP8-Edition-5190.zip

I've also used Any Video Converter for FLV, which worked well.
    http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Terry