Due to continual spamming, forum registrations are now by Invitation Only. Hopefully this will be only a temporary measure to combat spammers.
If you want an invitation contact forumapplication @ camstudio . org
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Hello. I've decided to try CamStudio Recorder v2.6 to record gameplay, video clips (mostly youtube), webcams and more which usually have between 2 and 30 minutes duration and preferably with the same video and audio quality as in real time. I have encountered several difficulties and was going to discard the program but I want to give it a chance. I have tried searching for solutions to certain issues without any luck. I am using Windows XP with Google Chrome and the Lossless Codec v1.5.
Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated!
1. When I finish recording something for over 5 minutes or so, I get an error saying "Note: File Creation Error. Unable to rename/copy audio file." which, I'm assuming, makes me lose the recorded video. I read that CamStudio currently cannot create avi files over 2GiB in size, so I'm wondering if there's a way to record long video with lower file size without lowering the quality.
2. If I try to record while CamStudio is compressing, I get an error saying "CamStudio Recorder has encountered a problem and needs to close." and it immediately closes, which cancels the compression.
3. I'm not able to open more than 1 CamStudio programs at a time, thus not being able to record again until the previous recording's compression is complete. I can't record anything continuously for more than a few minutes.
4. The recorded video file sizes are incredibly large. What's the best way to reduce it as much as possible while keeping the same quality?
5. I read that it's best to use the H.264 encoder in the FFDShow Tryout codec but I'm not sure how to do this. I have installed the ffdshow program but nothing new is displayed in the list of compressors in the Video Options. Also, even though I have 'CamStudio Lossless Codec v1.5' selected as the compressor, it displays 'Codec : MS Video 1' on the main screen when recording.
6. What program should I use to simply cut out parts of the video? I have tried using Windows Movie Maker but I've had so many problems with it (mostly the frequent program shut downs and the high amount of lag).
7. Many of the thumbnail previews of the videos I have recorded show a tilted black and white image with colored horizontal lines across it.
8. Even though I selected the Desktop as the 'User specified directory' for recording, it asks me where to save the file and sets the CamStudio folder as the default. I'd like for it to automatically select the Desktop as the directory to save in.
9. When I'm finished recording something and write down the name of the file to save it as, it will automatically replace an existing file with the same name without alerting me that a file with this name already exists.
10. I set the View to Compact View but it is always set in Normal View when I open the program.