This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Error saving big .avi Files (more than 1.5 hours) and problem repairing temporary files

edited April 2009 in Support
Hello,

we are using CamStudio to record a training. It runs from a user account on XP, but the user has write access to C:\Program Files\CamStudio (so that the settings will be saved). We are using the CamStudio lossless codec.

Everything works when we record small videos (5-10 Minutes). Whenever we record 1.5 hours or more CamStudio gives following error: "Can not save file". After this, if we click "Ok", the temporary files are gone and everything is lost.

We did this a couple of times until we noticed that we can only rescue the temporary files, which are pretty big (2-4 GB) plus temporary audio files.

We also tried a couple of programs to repair the temporary files, none of them seem to work. Do you have any idea if and how can those temporary video files be repaired?

The video repairing programs I tried (ASF-AVI-RM-WMV Repair, DivFix++) don't seem to even recognize that the files are .avi files. Maybe the headers are missing?

I need those videos desperately and it's frustrating now to know what to do with the temporary files :)

Comments

• The problem stems from CamStudio only being able to record AVIs using AVI Format 1.0, which is limited to a maximum filesize of 2GB.

You *might* be able to import the temporary files into VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org - free) and then resave them as AVIs from there (VD saves AVI files as OpenDML - AVI 2.0 - format, I think.)

We're hoping to rewrite CS to natively produce AVIs in AVI 2.0 format, but as of yet no open-source C++ coding to do this exists, so unless we can find some, or use the code from VirtualDub, we'll have to write it from scratch and that might take some time.

Keep us posted how you get on.

HTH

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • Hi All,

I too was facing the same issue as 'acozma'. the valuable comments of 'nickthegeek' solved my issues. thanks :)

Kind Regards,
    judef