This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed

13»

Comments

• Nipponmonkey,

"I manually entered my custom sized height and width "700x400"."

What is the CamStudio default height and width?

Terry,

I did some Skyping last night and, and the reverb doesn't seem to be heard by others over the internet. However, the mic input is recorded in CamStudio with the reverb effect.
  • edited January 2011
    baron,

There is no default height and width, but 640X480 (old format) or 856X480 (new wide-screen format) have become standards in wide use (producing YouTube's "480p" sizes).

This 'reverb" (or echo?) effect is unfortunate - I'm not at all able to guess what could be causing that. I'll do some research later tonight.

Terry
  • Terry,

You may want to read my post over in the "2 gig limit" thread.

Anyway, a quick question: I'm capturing the full screen, 1360x768. I'm going to be editing in Adobe Premiere, and turning out mpeg files to be turned into DVDs. My question is, when I run the CamStudio avi file through AVC, should I change the size to 640x480? The video camera I used for years to "capture" these seminars created avi files with that size, and I've never had a problem. Should I change the size through AVC, or just leave it alone? Will the larger size create a problem with Adobe Premiere, or the mpeg file created by Adobe Premiere? (Sorry for the dumb questions.)

Thanks
  • baron,

I'm working on a solution to the 2-gig limit. The easiest is to run two separate instances of CamStudio and start the second just before ending the first, alternating, and editing the resulting recordings together later in the editor of your choice. CamStudio 2.0 can run separate instances (that is, you can start the program up more than once, and the new one runs in its own process). CamStudio 2.5 and 2.6 have to be run concurrently with a 2.0, I believe. I'm going to do some experiments and see how this goes. This will avoid the entire issue of repairing a broken AVI that went over the 2-gig size limit.

Why are you capturing so many pixels at once? That practice is making you run-up to that 2-gig limit much faster. Can you set your display settings at a much smaller resolution and capture that via the full-screen region instead?

Terry
  • There's a simple solution to the Waveoutthingymabob problem (yeah im lazy to type), go to reecording devices, and set like stero mix to the default device, and if you have a mic, set that to default communications device! It worked for me, still get the error but it does work fine.
  • Baron and everyone else,

As per:

"PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Here's the fix: Right click on the MS speaker icon in the task bar, select recording devices, single left click the Mic Input then select the properties button... go to the listen tab and select listen to this device.

Mic input is now routed into the stereo mixer, and both record in CamStudio.

There's only one small drawback: Anything input into the mic comes out of the speakers with a slight "reverb" quality. It's not caused by a feedback loop, because the audio from a video playing on the screen doesn't reverb at all. If you play a video and speak while it's playing, only your voice reverbs."

I'm happy to tell you that I'm finally settling in with new routines replacing the confusion of getting used to living in new surroundings, unpacking, and setting all my stuff back up after the move. I recently bought a 64-bit Windows 7 HP computer and will be able to run tests now on that machine as well as on my XP machines.

I'll try this technique in Windows 7 now and see if I get the reverb effect, and see if I can get rid of it if I do!!

One thought that came to mind was a bit of wondering whether a webcam mic could be leaking into the works along with the headset mic... just a suspicion.

Skype uses its own source-selection techniques, so I think that even if it does not get the echo, it is an apples and oranges comparison in that case. Supposedly, the Windows 7 audio framework is very impressive (supposed to be a boon to home recording fans!) I'll investigate that stuff a bit over the next two weeks.

Terry
  • Credits to Terry..!

"PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Here's the fix: Right click on the MS speaker icon in the task bar, select recording devices, single left click the Mic Input then select the properties button... go to the listen tab and select listen to this device.

Mic input is now routed into the stereo mixer, and both record in CamStudio.

(Issue closed)
  • Issue closed, See Terry's solution
This discussion has been closed.