This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Error when opening CamStudio

edited January 2013 in Support
So I downloaded CamStudio and every time I try to open it I get this message:
C:\Program Files (x86)\CamStudio 2.6b\Recorder.exe
This application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application even log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more deatail.

I am *Not* a computer geek so it would be extreamly helpful if anyone could tell me what to do to fix this in the simplest way possible. buy the way I have windows 8

Thanks HorseLuva

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Solution:
    For CamStudio 2.6b r294;
    you will be needed Microsoft C++ Runtime Libraries 2008 which will be here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582

For CamStudio 2.6c;
    you will be needed Microsoft C++ Runtime Libraries 2010 which will be here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328
  • Thanks, userX!

Terry
  • Now I have a new Error Sign when i try to record
    When I pull up CamStudio and then I click the Record Button I gives me this message:
    CamStudio could not record the AVI file using the current compressor.
    Use default compressor?
    [yes button] [no button]
    I don't know what a compressor is so I don't know what one I have if there is one i need to download please let me know
    Thanks Horseluva
  • The default compressor is Microsoft Video 1, and that error usually appears due to the width and height dimensions of your record region not being even numbers, which MPEG-4 based codecs like Xvid, x.264 and others require. In fact, DivX requires the width be a multiple of (divisible by) 4.

A compressor makes the file size of the video much, much smaller than it would be without one. Zip is a compressor for files. There are several compressors (called codecs) for video. Check the drop-down at the top of your Video Options dialog to see which compressor you've got selected.

Terry