This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Can capture audio-video avi with Microsoft; but xvid and x264vfw shows only 1 frame with audio

s_gs_g
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
Hello,

[Updated: fixed typo: 100 ms should have been 10 ms; also, added note on a setting that works]

Downloaded last night; have watched full ~45 min tutorial; been experimenting. Recording audio and video to avi file. With Microsoft codec, get expected result. But with xvid and x264vfw, get audio but "video" is one fixed frame! Here's my setting for xvid:

First dialog box:
Quality: 100
Set key frames Every 100 frames
Capture Frames Every 10 milliseconds [original post had a typo and said 100 milliseconds]
Playback rate 10 frames/second
[X] Auto-adjust [X] Lock Capture and Playback Rates
Max Framerate -- left at default location.

Configure Dialog box:
Profile @ level Xvid HD 1080
Encoding Type: Single pass
Target quantizer: 1.00
1 (maximum quality)
Zones: Frame # Weidht/Q Modifiers
0 W 1.00
Quality preset: General purpose

Dialog box for Other Options:
FourCC used XVID
:Encoder: [ ] Print debug info ...
[ ] Display encoding status
greyed out [X] Write DivX5 user data ...

Didn't change anything else.

Please help

[Update]: Changed setting key frames to every 50, and capture frames to every 20 milliseconds; and it works as expected.

Comments

• Possibly that is from the size of your capture region. The width and height need to be even numbers for Xvid and x.264vfw. But I doubt that was it, as those codecs usually won't load at all in that situation. This may be the media player, so try Windows Media Player and VLC also. I do know the built-in CamStudio media players are not very good with Xvid and x.264vfw - usually the problem is a black screen with those.

Terry
  • s_gs_g
    edited June 2014
    After changing (Key Frames, Capture Frames) from (100, 10) to (50, 20) and keeping other settings as before (including Xvid 1080), was successful at capturing audio-video of Fixed Region 1740 x 1036, top left at (100, 96), on a Dell Latitude E6530 laptop (16 Gigs RAM, Intel i7-3740QM, 2.7 GHz). But video was short (under a minute); tomorrow, will try for a longer (10 min or so) video.

A few additional points as PS: Video captured yesterday with "Microsoft codec" was a little over 8 minutes and close to 1.8 Gigs (which compressed to 81 Megs as .mp4). I use VLC. Odd region sizes with xvid crash just when capture starts.
  • edited June 2014
    Unless your video has no audio, you possibly will go over the 2 gigabyte file size limit capturing that many pixels in 10 minutes, so run a non-critical test to see how much you can get. The recording box gives an approximation of how big your file is getting while you are recording, but tests are the only way to really know. Test with content having a similar percentage of motion vs still graphics in it.

Xvid and x.264vfw definitely help, though! I have managed 3 hours of webinar recording with mostly still slides using Xvid and mono 44.1kHz 16-bit audio, but that was at the setting with capture-frames-every at 100 and the playback speed at 10.

The top setting for keyframes has less effect, and larger numbers will set fewer keyframes, resulting in smaller files. (A keyframe, in this instance, is a full recording of every pixel on the screen whether there was change or not. The in-between frames only capture pixels that have changed in value. 200 to 300 is a fine number.)

Terry
  • Oh, and as you found out, odd-numbered regions are not allowed with MP4 based codecs like Xvid and x.264vfw (nor with DivX, which wants the width to be divisible by 4 and height by 2, if I recall - but I may have that switched around in my memory.)

Terry