This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

How to repair this corrupt .avi file from BSoD?

Hi,

I'm trying to repair a corrupt .avi file. It was produced after a Blue Screen of Death while recording using CamStudio v2 (using CamStudio Lossless Codec v1.5). The temporary .avi file remained on disk. It is not recognised by any of my media players (or video editors- I've tried VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod, DivFix and VLC).

I inspected it with a Hex editor. It appears to be missing the index at the end, and all of the header apart from the 00dc hex video frame tag (judging by this description of avi video frame tags http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=25).

I think the information is there to reconstruct the file. The file is of the right size and not empty. I can see the colour scheme is correct when I open a hex-edited version of the avi in VirtualDub (I made a hex-edited version of the video by inserting a header and index from a reference avi video recorded in CamStudio. The reference used the same codec but had different dimensions and length, since I do not know those). It displays the pixels in the correct order but wrong frame size and frame rate and is therefore unrecognisable. Each frame looks like many hundreds of frames put into one.

I imagine it is possible to calculate more header and index information (like frame size) and reconstruct the file, by putting that information into the header and footer, but I just do not know how. If I could get the RGB of some pixels I could at least figure out the frame size of the video.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. For example, is it possible to get the rgb information of pixels from the hex file? Any suggestions of how to proceed who would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2018
    If your video was over the 2-gigabyte file size limit imposed by CamStudio using AVI-1, then there is nothing one can do to retrieve it, unless it was only a little bit oversized, in which case sometimes this video can help on using VirtualDub to rescue oversized Camstudio Files:

But the situation is quite futile - I've never known anybody to solve this problem with oversized files. If it merely was missing the header and was under 2-Gb, then Virtual Dub should have worked, even though your BSoD left it in a precarious state.