This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

"Error creating avi file" ...

edited November 2009 in Support
Ok, so I wanted to record my full screen with CamStudio, so I clicked the red button to start recording,
and it keeps saying "Error creating avi file" every single time I use CamStudio. Please help me with this.

Does it have something to do with my PC? I use Windows XP.

Comments

• Unfortunately this error can mean too many different things. Does it work when using an option other than full screen? Have you tried with a different codec? Also try running it as an administrator to make sure that the issue doesn't have to do with permissions on the location where it is creating the temporary file. If these things don't work, post info about what options you are using to make your recording.
  • I seem to be experiencing the same thing. I repeatedly get an "Error Creating AVI file" error whenever I attempt to record, regardless of what region I select to record or codec I select. If I do change the codec with which I intend to record, when I attempt to record, CamStudio prompts to change the codec to the program default, and I get the error again.

I've double-checked the folder where I want the file to be placed to be sure it goes where I want, and that there is adequate space available to save the file and as far as I can tell everything is as it should be.

One thing I believe I should add is that when I initially installed CamStudio (probably almost a year ago), it worked fine. This error hasn't occurred until more recently, and I haven't changed a thing other than what I stated above.

My experience with the program until more recently has been great, and I would like to continue to make use of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marklar22
  • Check to see your recording dimensions are divisible by 2.
  • I am having the same problem, error creating avi file. So I tried running it as an Administrator, right click on the Camstudio icon, then Run as Administrator and it works. Maybe it will work for you guys.
    Ron
  • Ron,

That's interesting. This is true even for very short recordings? Usually that isn't an issue, but it is best to run as admin in Vista even if you simply want to save your settings!

Terry